What’s the path from Library Composer to Theme Tune?

Home Forums General Questions What’s the path from Library Composer to Theme Tune?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dave

Hello all

I’ve been writing Library Music for a few years (but still consider myself a relative newbie), and am getting regular placements on a variety of different shows through several different genres. My question is, what’s the path from Composer of Library Music to landing the Title Theme to a Show? I’ve no idea how it works. Do I ask libraries themselves, or are these Title themes generally commissioned directly by Supervisors and Producers? And if that’s the case, how do you get yourself in a position where you might be asked to submit something?

#41651 Reply
    DavidM
    Participant

Wow, nobody knows? That’s fine – as an industry, we are known for holding our cards close to our chests. I wasn’t after specifics. Just in general terms, I would be fascinated to learn whether indeed the Production Music route is a path at all to getting the opportunity to submit a potential Theme Tune to a show/series, or whether perhaps it’s about have a reputation as a Composer outside the realm of Library/Production/Sync Music, and being asked. I’m thinking here in the UK about people like Nigel Hess, Debbie Wiseman, Colin Towns who have done TV themes but compose in a much wider sphere too.

#41656 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

“Wow, nobody knows? That’s fine – as an industry, we are known for holding our cards close to our chests.”

It seems you are saying two different things here. First is that nobody knows and second is that people do know but are unwilling to share.

My opinion is it’s the first – nobody knows. I’ll bet the three names you mentioned that have done TV themes each found their way there in different manners!

#41657 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

It would most likely be by making personal contacts with TV production companies. That’s how it has worked for us. Granted we have had only a couple but I’m not great at networking or cold calling.

#41658 Reply
    casnc1
    Participant

I was approached by one of the libraries I write for to take a crack at a theme for a reality show a couple of years ago. It was a fun experience! Unfortunately, I didn’t land it, but another of their composers did nail it, so that was cool.

My guess is kind of like the others above – there probably isn’t one clear-cut path. I would agree with Art that the better you network and express interest in doing stuff like that, the more likely it is, but even that wouldn’t be a guarantee. Just might increase the odds.

#41660 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

I’ve had library tracks get used as themes before. Have a few running at the moment. The thing those tracks have in common is that I spent what most people would think is a ridiculous amount of time for library music… I took the time to really try to make them thematic, catchy and evocative. Most of them also have live instruments and a pro mix/master.
    I guess it’s a lottery but it’s not just about dumb luck – you can increase the odds by a focus on quality over quantity. I probably spent a week on each track.

#41664 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

“It would most likely be by making personal contacts with TV production companies. That’s how it has worked for us.”

That’s been my experience as well, a combination of personal contacts and luck.

#41665 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Practice, lots of practice. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: What’s the path from Library Composer to Theme Tune?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us