When Creating A Work…

Home Forums PROs When Creating A Work…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Showtyme
    Participant

When creating a work with BMI that you put on certain music libraries, what do you register it as? As a work intended for Music Libraries, TV, or Film? I usually go with TV but am not sure if that’s what I’m supposed to do.
    When I register it as a library track, it says I’m supposed to put in the CD #, and most of the time, there isn’t really a CD # unless it’s an album track.

Thanks for the help.

#19265 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

Hi Showtyme

what do you register it as?

BMI gives the option to initially indicate that your work
    “was not” created for film, TV etc. However, they add that you change your answer later. I check ‘no’ since a piece of music submitted to a library may, or may not, be any or all of those things.

And since the answer to this question doesn’t affect the registration process or how much BMI pays for that song, it makes sense to always check the ‘no’ box and then you’re done with that section :-).

Paul

#19275 Reply
    Showtyme
    Participant

Hi Paolo,

I don’t understand. BMI makes you have to choose between TV, Film, Theater, Library, or Commercial jingle when you choose what type of work you’re registering. I’ve never seen a “no” box when registering.

#19277 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

Hi Showtyme,

I went into my BMI account, created a test Work Registration and copied and pasted Step 4 below so that we both are seeing the same thing (or maybe not!).

In question three, when they ask “Was this work created for Film, TV, Theater, or Music Library?” I choose “no”

Is this the step you’re referring to? If it’s not, can you tell me what step you’re on when you see this?

Paul

————————————

New Work: Step 4 of 5

Title: TEST

Are there any artists?
    Yes No

Are there any recordings?
    Yes No

Was this work created for Film, TV, Theater, or Music Library?
    Yes No

Back Next

#19280 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

i also check the “no” box.

#19281 Reply
    Showtyme
    Participant

Hi Paolo,

Ahhh now I see it. What do you write for if there are any recordings or artists on the track if it’s just an instrumental? I would check no for all 3, I’m pretty sure.

Appreciate the help!!

#19283 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

I would check no for all 3, I’m pretty sure.

Exactly!

IMHO, any registration question that comes across as market research (how long is your song; is your lyric in english) doesn’t impact my royalty payment so I select the answer that allows me to move right to the next section.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: When Creating A Work…
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us