When your music is placed…

Home Forums Commentary When your music is placed…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    maxquaini
    Participant

what exactly happens?

I’ll explain a little better my question!

I’m referring to exclusive libraries in particular – I’m working with two of them – consider a deal where you keep 100% of your writer’s rights and 50/50 for sync deal (but indeed same question even for different kind of deals); while you usually check your PRO statements for royalties, what about the Sync deals?
    What exactly happens with sync splits? I guess you should get notified by your library partner, am I wrong?
    Despite having few albums with them I’m still waiting for something happening and as a relatively new writer, I still haven’t seen any royalties income – in my country you’ll get your rights from your PRO one year later, and just twice a year, one of the reasons I’ll quit with Italian SIAE to go with BMI from Jan 2021.
    I’d like to know in particular, how you usually get your sync fees, how usually libraries deal with it and share with their artists?
    Thank you in advance to all of you.

#35241 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’d like to know in particular, how you usually get your sync fees?

From the library.

#35244 Reply
    maxquaini
    Participant

Thank you Art.

#35247 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

The libraries I work with send me a quadterly statement at the end of every quarter and then send me any money thats due to me via paypal 60 days after the statement is generated. HTH!

#35248 Reply
    maxquaini
    Participant

Oh awesome to know! Thank you for your feedback!

#35249 Reply
    Rhythmscott
    Participant

Many libraries have a threshold of earnings before they send you a payment. I’m with one exclusive library that waits for as much as $200 owed ($400 total in sync fees) before sending a payment.

#35251 Reply
    maxquaini
    Participant

Thank you for your reply Scott!
    Yes it makes sense, I can understand it.
    I’m more interested about the communicative part of it.
    I’ve heard some libraries just sent out payments almost automatically but I was wondering if they also keep posted their artists about placements.
    I guess it might be different from library to library (and even person by person) but I was wondering if there’s a sort of pattern in the way they interact with their artists.

#35271 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

Will every placement get a sync fee if with a 50/50 library.

#35272 Reply
    maxquaini
    Participant

Sorry not sure what you mean

#35273 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

Ok lets say you have 16 tracks in one library and all are used for various tv shows will the composer be paid sync fees for all 16.

#35274 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

@vasim… That depends on the contract you have with the library. There are some libraries that pay no share of sync fees to the composer… Only back end royalties.

In some cases, the library splits the publishing share with the production house/network.

#35275 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

If, as you say its a 50/50 deal then yes, all 16 will get the composer paid 50 percent of net earning for each placement.

#35508 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

OK thanks for the insight. What is a venue it terms of sync deals, placements etc

#37231 Reply
    Vasim
    Participant

I’m expecting one sync payment from a US library and was curious if a quarterly one will be end of this month or march etc

what’s your experience.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Reply #35244 in When your music is placed…
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us