Where to go?

Home Forums Critiques Where to go?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    krissumastyli
    Participant

Hello good members of MLR!

So wasn’t to sure where to place this post but i’ve got some of my music here for critique so i’ll place it here 🙂

Although i’ve been reading a lot on MLR over the last few years and not really trying to send my music anywhere (yes this is sad…), i finally started selling my music through AJ (with some moderate success – I’ve been uploading my tracks there last three months and made about $600 so far).

So… My questions are:
    1. What do you think about my recent music, what could i improve on?
    2. I realized in order for financial success on AJ you need to race the rat race and produce the ultimate “super sounding lucky generic inspiration corporate” track or any of the other 3 formulas track – It is something perhaps i don’t want to do for the next few years. So… Where do i go with my skills? I emailed all Upfront money libraries and none of them replied (only digital juice did saying: “come back in January 2016”). I guess RF libraries?

Thank you in advance for any help!

https://soundcloud.com/krissumastyli/sets/some-of-my-work

Kris

#23594 Reply
    Kris

Anyone? 🙂

#23600 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Hi Kris

I personally never critique library music as its totally subjective, IMO library music is secondary to the product it is placed with, so many different types and styles potentially can work.I really don’t like the ukelele ( I seriously don’t !!!!) but its become a part of the library music repertoire , and if the client wants it they get it. On the other end of the scale, trailer music has its own cliches that clients want.

If music is licensed, its successful , if it isn’t, then no matter how brilliant anyone thinks it is , it has failed in the library music field.

If the question is will my music sell in library A,B or C then simply listen to the Top 20 or so tracks and see if your tracks are in that vein.

Sorry if its a vague answer.

#23601 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I personally never critique library music as its totally subjective,

Totally agree!

#23603 Reply
    gigdude
    Participant

I’ve pretty much decided I just can’t tell what will get picked and what will not. I just try to do my best, and try to do many styles, moods, textures, tempos, era’s, etc. Try to aim for certain shows, and potential usages. But really I don’t know what will be picked. I’m happily surprised every time when something finds it’s way into a show. So I would be hesitant to critique anybody also.

#23604 Reply
    krissumastyli
    Participant

Thanks guys.

Make sense. I think rather than spending a lot of time trying to understand RF world, it’s better to spend a lot of time producing different styles and upload it to few libraries. Oh well… guess i’m buying ukulele today, exciting.

Thanks for the time you took replying 🙂

#23606 Reply
    Mc_GTR
    Participant

I think woodsdenis sums it well up. But this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try to create something unique, though. Even though library music is hard core “market driven”, that doesn’t mean that the market always knows what it wants all the time. So you can try to do what you love, slice it down to an acceptable form, and see if there are any takers. If the music is irresistible, they may just want what you’ve got.

I believe the way out of the minimalistic fee’s has to be that you can deliver something that many others can’t, or something fresh. If library music really is a market, and not just sublimated slavery, core marketing ideas like “unique selling proposition”, “blue ocean strategy” and “positioning” should be able to help you.

#23608 Reply
    krissumastyli
    Participant

Agree. Thanks Mc GTR!

#23609 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Please nobody take it from my reply that anyone should do ukulele tracks ad infinutum LOL. Do what you do best, try different things, enjoy yourself. Like every library composer I know, I have had the most unexpected tracks get used and conversely the ones I thought were sure fire sellers tank.

#23610 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Like every library composer I know, I have had the most unexpected tracks get used and conversely the ones I thought were sure fire sellers tank.

So true!

If library music really is a market, and not just sublimated slavery, core marketing ideas like “unique selling proposition”, “blue ocean strategy” and “positioning” should be able to help you.

Then, we are our own masters, with the power to own the fruits of our labor and make money in our sleep!

And quite true…it is a “big blue ocean” out there!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Reply #23608 in Where to go?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us