Who Pays Performance Royalties?

Home Forums Commentary Who Pays Performance Royalties?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Hey all,

I created a page and spreadsheet listing of most of the known networks and channels. The goal here is to have a resource on who actually pays. Here’s the link and please leave a comment on any info you may have for a particular channel. Here’s the link https://musiclibraryreport.com/tv-networks-that-pay-performance-royalties/

Thanks to Music1234 for the spreadsheet!

#37716 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump.

#37718 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I regularly receive royalties (writers and publishers) from the Travel Channel for a track that was licensed via Pond5.
    I regularly received royalties from the CW for theme music on a show that is now on hiatus. I don’t know if their policy has changed.

#37719 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

My thoughts on the TV Network graph/ sheet.

NBC Universal/ COMCAST is a class act that always comes through for composers.

VIACOM/ CBS (includes MTV, VH1, BET)- I wonder, about them as I have been hearing about lots of shenanigans from fellow writers writing for “buyout fees” so these folks can build a library PRO free for “some reality TV shows”? Guys, is the $200 buyout really worth your time and effort knowing that is all you will get forever and simultaneously, you are helping them build up a PRO free internal library? What the fudge?

Disney, ABC…generally speaking a class act, but their ESPN policy is pretty disgusting

Discovery, They are all over the place with some of their networks paying decently, but others such as SCRIPPS, seems like a sleezy under the table workaround to avoid the PRO issue. I’d just love to know why the PRO’s tolerate this double standard.

Fox Business, News, Fox Sports – Yep, they pay…so they look out after writers!

CNN/ TBS, TNT, CNN, and TruTV. – They pay, classy operation. aka WARNER MEDIA

Art, does Hallmark Channel not pay?

#37722 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Art, does Hallmark Channel not pay?

Don’t know but will check my statements.

#37723 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

All I can add is that I always get royalties from MTV, VH1 and BET. Not aware of any buyout deals on my end.

VIACOM/ CBS (includes MTV, VH1, BET)- I wonder, about them as I have been hearing about lots of shenanigans from fellow writers writing for “buyout fees” so these folks can build a library PRO free for “some reality TV shows”? Guys, is the $200 buyout really worth your time and effort knowing that is all you will get forever and simultaneously, you are helping them build up a PRO free internal library? What the fudge?

#37724 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

@NY Composer, a composer friend of mine recently told me that he received briefs from “M” (you can imagine who this library is). The brief was for “buyout tracks for Viacom, because they are trying to build up an internal library”.

So, for those newbies and youngbies reading and listening here is why this offer is horrible:
    -Viacom/ CBS is currently a media giant that does pay performance royalties for CBS, MTV, VH1, BET stations.
    -When you take the tiny $200 buy out deal, not only are you foolishly selling a track for peanuts and under valuing your work effort, but you are complicit in their end goal: Build an INTERNAL NON PRO library so VIACOM CBS can one day avoid payments to PRO’s and as a result cut you out of back end performance royalties.

Why would anyone jump at the opportunity to write, record, mix, and master a track for VIACOM/ CBS for a lousy $200? That is the dumbest deal ever. You are selling your intellectual property for $200 and that is all you will earn from that piece, forever. Secondly, you are shooting yourself in the foot because an “internal PRO free” library is in direct competition with PRO (rights managed) libraries you hope CBS would use for production music.

Finally, have you ever thought about what that track would earn on other licensing platforms if you chose not to sell it for $200? Surely it could easily earn you $200 if you gave it some time and see how it can perform.

#37725 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Music1234,

NOTHING good is coming from Library M nower days. If it’s not a race to the bottom, to take Writers share, It’s another race to the bottom, to elimate all future back end money.

All I can say is I’m not surprised. If M can encourage composers to give up 50 percent Writers share, then I’m sure they can encourage them to take $200.00 and forfiet all future royalties.

Somehow, I get a feeling that M is benefiting A LOT more then their new “Special” composer squad.

I wouldn’t be surprised if M convinced composers to sign a contract that is difficult to get out of.

#41013 Reply
    Aeonata
    Participant

Hi,

Just to add to the list, Freeform (former ABC Family) does pay (average about 10-15$ per minute as far as I can tell from my statements…).

#41085 Reply
    bassplaya07
    Participant

What is “Library M”? Are u referring to Motion Array?

I would like to know who to avoid – we shouldn’t have to talk in code on here haha!!! ??

Thanks!!!

#41150 Reply
    Afilion
    Participant

M = MIBE

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Reply #37718 in Who Pays Performance Royalties?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us