Why different audio formats?

Home Forums General Questions Why different audio formats?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    daveydad
    Participant

Been doing this sync thing for a few years now and always wondered why libraries want certain formats of audio? Most I supply music to seem to be fine with WAVs at 44/16 but some want them at 48/24 and then a couple want AIFs. For use in background music on TV why would it really matter?

#31980 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Most I supply music to seem to be fine with WAVs at 44/16 but some want them at 48/24 and then a couple want AIFs. For use in background music on TV why would it really matter?

It shouldn’t but probably more about compatibility and the fact 48/16 aif’s was the high def standard coming off of PRO Tools so many years ago (somebody correct me on this if I’m mistaken). I also think each library got use to accepting a format, from their beginning, and never bothered to change.

#31983 Reply
    Paul Biondi

I also think each library got use to accepting a format, from their beginning, and never bothered to change.

That’s what I also see Art. A few libraries I’ve been with for quite a while. And although they continue to change many things (FTP vs drop box; number of alt versions, etc) they still request the same formats as they did from the beginning.

#31988 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

To weed out the weak, thin the herd. 😛

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Why different audio formats?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us