Winds of change?….fun Predictions for 2020 ?………

Home Forums Commentary Winds of change?….fun Predictions for 2020 ?………

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    StevenOBrien
    Participant

I don’t think I’ll be putting as much of a focus on library music this year. I have ~200 unpublished tracks consisting of both re-worked RF music and new music that I was planning to finish up and shop around to exclusives, but the situation regarding royalties seems so volatile at the moment that I’ve become extremely reluctant to sign them away without having a better idea of how things will play out. I don’t want to be in a situation where they’re stuck in libraries for years, being placed in situations where they just won’t earn me anything.

I’ve been talking to the lead signer of a successful foreign pop-group recently who wants to license beats from me, so hopefully that’ll lead to greener pastures. But if not, I think I’ll be focusing web design/programming work for the next year instead of music until things settle down. 🙂

#34010 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

I always wonder how the owners of music libraries can consciously sign music into their catalog under an agreement that they will:
    1. Exploit the music for music licensing opportunities, pay 50% of sync licenses sold to writers, then guarantee us that we will get 100% writers share for all TV show background cue placements….BUT…
    2. They then sell DIRECT BLANKET LICENSE DEALS (that contains PRO REGISTERED MUSIC) to these TV networks that DO NOT pay ASCAP, BMI, nor SESAC. Hence, no back end royalty compensation is even in play…. Is this not overt theft and border line breach of contract? Since when did we sign deals that state “license my music but do not share the licensing revenue you generate from those Direct Blanket license Deals? Does anyone have an answer to that question?

#34012 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Music1234
    Actually, if you look at the contracts in most cases, there *is* a clause that covers it. I know in SK’s contract there is something that covers it. It may not be clear at first but it’s there. What makes it tough is there are libraries that have made me good money with real paying placements and also Scripps placements paying me nothing. Pulling out makes a statement but it cuts off my own nose. I don’t think I’d sign a NEW contract with any library that doesn’t agree not to do non-PRO blankets or at least says they’ll share the blanket fees with composers.

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Winds of change?….fun Predictions for 2020 ?………
Your information: