Wise Advice

Home Forums Share It! Wise Advice

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

I was going to share this on Robin’s Que Sera thread, but I think it stands on its own.

This is good advice for newbies (maybe oldies too).

If you simply want to make some money in this business, “not that good” is often quite sufficient. So, why bother to do more?

Shouldn’t you be satisfied when you’ve reached a level of “not that good” that will get you placements on cable TV, and call it a day?

I don’t think that answer is clear. First, you have to know the difference between “not that good” and good.

#19589 Reply
    gdomeier
    Participant

Thanks for that.

#19590 Reply
    Mark Lewis
    Participant

Awesome.
    To be a good tennis player you start by hitting 10,000 tennis balls.

#19592 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

That is fantastic , practise makes perfect explained very well.

#19595 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Shouldn’t you be satisfied when you’ve reached a level of “not that good” that will get you placements on cable TV, and call it a day?

I thought once I got “good enough”, I would be content. But I still feel something is missing.

I am working on moving into the “good” category. I have heard the good stuff and I am not there yet.

#19596 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

@ Michael: great post.

So there is this battle I have been fighting, which involves creating work that I am proud of writing-wise and production-wise, vs. pumping out loads of mediocre music that I know is more likely to get placements. Recently, a library sent out links to frequently placed tracks. Not knocking the writers, but a good 75% of those tracks didn’t have much more than a back beat, very little melodic content, didnt groove, and production quality that was suspect to my ears. This inner struggle plagues me: high quality art to be proud of vs. large numbers of mediocre tracks. I seem to always choose the first. And no intention of hijacking this thread.

#19600 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Great message.

#19604 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant
    #19605 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant
    #19608 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Brilliant! Thanks Denis

Truer words were never spoken:

“If you’re absolutely hopeless at something, you lack exactly the skills that you need to know that you’re absolutely hopeless at it.”

“Most people who have absolutely no idea what they’re doing, have absolutely no idea that they have no idea what they’re doing.”

#19610 Reply
    Musicmatters
    Participant

Great advice by one of my all time heroes. Thanks for sharing @woodsdenis

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Wise Advice
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us