Words of Wisdom

Home Forums Share It! Words of Wisdom

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dave

Scoring indie films for free is probably the main culprit here. YES, that is a total waste of time. No one cares about credits. And no, credits do not make you more money. We do provide a service folks so you better charge for it. I have a plumber over now replacing a Hot water heater for $1250. I am paying him for his service. At the same time we create intellectual property (music tracks) out of nothing and make them for sale. I can make an argument that none of the work we do is free because it always ends up for sale or for license anyway. So as Mark Petrie said, just make the best tracks you can and people will buy them. Even if that means spending 2 weeks on 1 track.

The massive decline in revenue for the music industry can be reversed through streaming prescriptions. If companies like Google and Spotify, Pandora etc bombarded teens and millenials with ads, but offered ad free prescriptions, I do think more would be pulling out their credit card. Getting a commercial once every 3 or 4 songs in the free versions is not annoying enough. How about 2 songs then 4 ads then 2 songs then 4 ads?

That would get people buying music again.

This has impacted production music composers, film composers, and jingle writers. How? because record sales are gone, and song sales are gone, everyone (and their mother) is now competing for music placed into TV shows, films, and ads. Then there is the RF market. I actually have read articles that stated there has been revenue growth in music licensing. So people are not buying albums and songs, but they are buying licenses a lot more than they used to.

Desire Inspires, there is my solution: Bombard and punish the public with annoying ads until they become so sick of it, they will be willing to spend $10 a month on an ad free prescription to get their favorite tunes free of advertising. As a teen and in my twenties, I’d buy one or two records a month and go to 6 concerts a year. The music industry got my $10 to $20 a month. That needs to be the focus. How do you get people 14 to 35 years old spending $10 or $20 a month on music again?

#19891 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

The music industry got my $10 to $20 a month. That needs to be the focus. How do you get people 14 to 35 years old spending $10 or $20 a month on music again?

Dave you’re probably closer to my age than you are to 14 or 35. One major difference between now and then is competition for entertainment dollars that did not exist 20, or 25 years ago. There was no Xbox etc…

People in that demographic are now spending the money that used to be spent on music on video games. They’re even going to arenas to watch other gamers compete!!!

The same thing is having an impact on TV. Young people are watching youtube and playing video games instead of watching TV, which is not good for anyone hoping to make backend money, especially when it’s tied to ratings.

You plumber is making more money in a few hours than most library composers will make in a few months!

#19896 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Thanks Dave.

#19897 Reply
    Dave

I played video games too as a teen. I bought walkmans, blank cassettes, I copied tunes to cassettes, I consumed all kinds of gadgets, boom boxes, etc. I do not buy into the theory that the money dried up because of x box video games. We bought all that stuff back in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s. Remember Atari? Pong? Asteroids? Technology and record labels can easily figure out a way to get people to buy music again, they just need to do it. I don’t buy the streaming prescriptions because the ads do not annoy me enough. If I had to first listen to 3 ads every time I needed to play a tune on Spotify (that happens to be my preferred way to stream songs). I’d probably pull out my credit card and pay $10 a month. It’s really not that complicated and it’s shocking that an entire industry is saying “yes, songs are free, that’s just the way it is…”

Remember when the goal of your band was to sell CD’s at gigs and get a record deal and sell 1 million copies? Now the goal is to write a song that will get used on a commercial so people will know about you and want to buy a ticket to your next gig. It’s so ridiculous!

#19901 Reply
    Chuck Mott

To e fair, I think Spotify only runs the ads on the free service. I listen about 3 hours a day (I drive a lot for the day gig) and have never heard an ad.

#19903 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

“Your plumber is making more money in a few hours than most library composers will make in a few months!”

I know!! Nobody talks about “composer’s crack” the way they talk about “plumber’s crack”… I mean composers lean over at their studio computers all day with their butt cracks sticking out of their pants… 😉 😛

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Words of Wisdom
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us