Work Method – What’s Yours?

Home Forums Commentary Work Method – What’s Yours?

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cyberk91
    Participant

“Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.”

– Eleanor Roosevelt

62 here ya all made my day

#35492 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

I dig that quote. ^^^^

For me, it’s usually 2 tracks at a time. Specifically when I have started a mix for one track in the morning with fresh ears, I use the second half of the day to start or continue writing a second track. I will do that for a few days and try to get ‘fresh ears’ on the first mix a few days in a row. I might even give that first mix a day off, just to gain perspective. By the time the first track is done being mixed, the second is written and ready for mixing. Then the process starts all over again.

I’ve heard someone call mixing the ‘bronze medal’ in library writing, and totally don’t agree with that at all. The mix is likely to be the last moment you are going to spend with that track, so it had better be amazing.

Just my 2c

#35493 Reply
    johnnyboy
    Participant

Really interesting posts guys! It may be a good idea to alter the routine. Could have some interesting results. Some of my writer friends prefer to start with the chorus, and fill in the verses later. That’s an idea for songwriting, not sure about instrumentals. I always start in the beginning. Compose an interesting 8 measures, then a variation of the first 8, then part B, and back to the first 8 with variations, and end with a button coda.

#35498 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

hey johnnyboy, my main inst is guitar so maybe its a bit different from piano sketchingwise. how i start depends on the genre. if rock, metal, blues, or any gtr focused track i start with the main riff and build around that. for EDM i start with sound design as that will dictate my approach to the texture and melody of the track, with hiphop i start with the groove. with flamenco, jazz, or neoclassical piano pieces i approach it as a songwriter with an ABA format.

I have tried to muscle through finishing a track in a day but couldnt do it (unless its ambient drone or tension). not that i literally couldnt as ive done 3 in a day before, i just cant leave it alone the next day, especially if i have a few days left before deadline. nowadays if i hit a wall i just take a break and do something non music related and not force it. an hour or 2 is usually enough for me. im also comfortable now to take weeks off and come back and still hit my monthly quota (10-12/mnth)

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Work Method – What’s Yours?
Your information: