Wrong Usage Code on Cue Sheet

Home Forums Cue Sheet Problems Wrong Usage Code on Cue Sheet

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JoshM
    Participant

Hello,

I just noticed on my royalty statement that an open/theme I wrote for a tv show wasn’t showing up.

I got a hold of the cue sheet for the first episode and it appears it was coded as background instrumental instead of a theme. And I believe a theme pays at a higher rate, correct?

If anybody has dealt with cue sheet revisions, what’s the best way to fix this and get the extra money for the episodes that already aired? Go to the production company or go directly to BMI? Will I need updated cue sheets or just give BMI the heads up that the track coded as background is actually supposed to be theme?

Thanks for your help!

#40304 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I would go to anyone you can think of, including whoever placed it.

#40318 Reply
    JoshM
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I’ll try and reach out to the production company and BMI this week.

On a related note, I’ve heard it’s better to contact the BMI Los Angeles office for TV stuff. I usually call the Nashville office since it’s the closets, but it seems like they never get back t me or take forever. Do you have any experience with this?

#40320 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m in L.A. and have had much better luck with Nashville, especially the jingle dept.

#40321 Reply
    JoshM
    Participant

Good to know. I really appreciate your help!

#44321 Reply
    HDS

Did you ever find out any more info?

I notice some cuesheets don’t even have T=Themed on the legend and just put BI (Background Instrumental) – I have asked a few ‘experts’ and they said they were not even sure if Themed music gets a higher rate – it may depend on some mysterious algorithm created by individual PROs. – Let me know if you can shed any light – I have not heard back from my request to BMI on this question.

#44322 Reply
    JoshM
    Participant

I’m ultimately not sure if Theme does pay a higher rate. It sure seems like it, though. Because that’s always the highest paying line item on my royalty statements.

As far as a fix, I believe I asked the production company to fix the cue sheet and then they resubmitted. But, I think that only helps for future uses, and not retroactively. But I could be wrong.

Hope this helps!

#44336 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

I think it’s best to start with the library who made the placement.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Reply #40318 in Wrong Usage Code on Cue Sheet
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us