Youngrichyrich – Real or imagined? You decide.

Home Forums Off Topic Posts Youngrichyrich – Real or imagined? You decide.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Splitting that $140k up with a large team quite possibly leaves a less than significant living wage.

I have a nephew working on one of those “teams”, with a major library. He’s very talented, gets lots of placements and struggles to live in L.A.

Youngrichyrich

For most music creators we work with, library music is a supplemental income

We do have a handful of full-time guys

@LAWriter
    what do you mean by “it doesn’t even sound interesting to me”? I can’t seem to unravel what that means

Music1234
    Participant

Hey everyone, before we pull out the pessimism weapons and trash Youngrichyrich’s claims…let me say that his model does seem reasonable to me from a financial perspective only. If any of us find 70 writers and we are getting 100% pub share of the 15 tracks a year these writers are writing for this publisher, the earnings curve looks about right. BUT, where I am skeptical is the one hour per day effort going into this. Sorry, but just finding and evaluating 20, let alone 70 writers and then fielding submissions from them, publishing them for sale, registering them at PRO’s, writing keywords and descriptions for all releases, requires A LOT more time than 1 hour a day.

If however, the entire process is automated and everyone auto uploads and you do not curate and review the music at all, maybe this kind of model does work for 1 hour per day.

Anyway, @ young and rich and beautiful, if you are a publisher you are off topic. The discussion is about what 1 composer/ writer/ music producer can make from their own efforts writing music and submitting them to libraries, publishers, and do it yourself stock sites.

Finally, certainly you have overhead running such an operation? So while your sales may be 250K this year from the 70 writers/ 1000 track catalog, I am sure you had to spend a good chunk of that $ running a web site and engaging in other marketing and distribution costs. This type of “part time side hustle” where you are only working 1 hour a day seems to not really add up.

For the record, I typically spend 15 hours a week just writing, mixing, and mastering 1 or 2 tracks, but then I spend another 15 hours a week doing admin work: Studying Tunesat detections, filing claims at PRO’s, organizing metadata on spreadsheets, registering new titles at PRO’s, typing e-mails, reading industry news here and other publications, implementing uploads to the sites I sell on or distribute through.

1 hour a day does not get you very far when you are first starting out.

In fact any composer reading this who is just getting started, you better be ready to work non stop for many years writing at least 700 to 1000 tracks to get over 6 figures in earnings and you better write super creative, emotive, catchy, beautiful, powerful, etc. tracks that the market will want and have some decent shelf life.

MichaelL
    Participant

@lawriter what do you mean by “it doesn’t even sound interesting to me”? I can’t seem to unravel what that means

1. $140K split among 70 writers is only $2,000. How many tracks did each person have to write to make $2K?
    2. Maybe “assembly line” production isn’t creatively satisfying. That actually still matters to some.

So, perhaps the money and the work are both not appealing.

boinkeee2000
    Participant

guess i’m really slackin off…it takes me an hour just to get through emails, news, and reports

LAwriter

1. $140K split among 70 writers is only $2,000. How many tracks did each person have to write to make $2K?
    2. Maybe “assembly line” production isn’t creatively satisfying. That actually still matters to some.

So, perhaps the money and the work are both not appealing.

Yes. Ditto. 140k split so wide would barely pay a one month house payment. Also, juggling that many creatives is quite possibly my definition of hell. So….yeah, not my cup of tea either financially or logistically or creatively.

BEATSLINGER
    Participant

have a nephew working on one of those “teams”, with a major library. He’s very talented, gets lots of placements and struggles to live in L.A.

I think I know which team this is.

(But back to the 1000 track claim from an MLR unknown)
    Being in a good few of the Top Libraries. I work with “producers” that package these albums for the many “Sub-divisions” inside of the majors.

I know for a fact, these producers are turning in far less than 1000 tracks a year, and are making far more than 140K-to-250K

If you are churning out numbers like that, why wouldn’t you just have your own Library/Catalogs inside of either one, or multiple companies/distributors?

Somethings not adding up for me; and I personally know, and work with some of the biggest in this industry.

BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Double-Dip

Is it just me, or does the story keep making slight adjustments?

Also, Is my math correct that 250.00 X 1000 is 250K?

Those are REALLY Bad Returns on ANY level.

LAwriter

Also, Is my math correct that 250.00 X 1000 is 250K?

Yes! Your math is correct sir. So…if taking mrRich’s provided percentages 60/40 upfront to backend, he is making (approx) :

$150 upfront for the buyout,

and

$100 back end.

Per piece of music of course. WOW!

But in reality, probably a lot less because I presume he’s also got back, end royalty streams from years past figured into his $250k bottom line….

Not exactly a stellar takehome when divided up 70 ways….

Youngrichyrich

“Haters don’t hate you

They hate themselves

Because you’re a reflection of what they wish to be”

I’ll leave that there.

I was positive and you give me hate instead of curiosity about how I was able to do what I do. I have a wealth of knowledge as an industry titan and am willing to share some of it.

PS: I work an hour a day because I run a business – employees, independent contractors, automated systems, etc.

Also am not a publisher.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • The topic ‘Youngrichyrich – Real or imagined? You decide.’ is closed to new replies.