YouTube Content ID, AdRev and Copyright Infringment

Home Forums General Questions YouTube Content ID, AdRev and Copyright Infringment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

The other day I was browsing the MLR videos on our YouTube channel and noticed that I had a copyright strike on one of the videos. This was surprising as I use our music in the videos. Investigating further I saw the strike was from AdRev and a library I have placed music with on a non-exclusive basis.

I immediately challenged the strike, e-mailed the library owner and he agreed to remove. I also e-mailed AdRev and explained I have never given any permission to anyone to place our music in YouTube Content ID. AdRev confirmed that the content had been removed from their system.

Here’s where it gets good. I then asked AdRev to check and see if there were any other music in their system under Art Munson and/or Robin Munson. They followed up and said they had 50 tracks in AdRev of ours! Holy crap! I’m now waiting on a list from AdRev so I can start going after these companies. What a pain in the arse!

This stuff is really getting out of hand and I am so close to uploading all our catalog into AdRev to protect ourselves from any further infringement.

This is a warning for us all on another way our music is being abused!

#32674 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

bumpity, bump 🙂

#32679 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Yeah it sucks – then the next question is, when are you getting your share of that income? And shouldn’t you get all of it?

I had a non-ex library that I’ve done really well with, literally do this at least four times with the SAME music… the first time I’d find out would be from a RF library freaking out, telling me they have to refund sales to some of their customers. After the first time it was always a mistake – non-ex music bundled in with exclusive music and sent over to AdRev, then uploaded into Source Audio, then removed, then put in again… it was all worth the stress and hassle though because this particular library has netted me much more than all RF libraries have combined.

These days I seem to just get the mistaken or fraudulent matches – illegal ‘remixes’ of my tracks (bought from a RF site) that are enrolled in Content ID, stuff like that.

#32681 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Yeah it sucks – then the next question is, when are you getting your share of that income? And shouldn’t you get all of it?

And this isn’t the first time. I uploaded an album to Spotify and one track came back with being in Content ID. Placed through Haawk. Contacted that library and got it removed.

Interestingly, another library placed a track years ago but they pay me about $150 every quarter from YouTube royalties (I let that one go). Makes me wonder what money is being left on the table!

#32683 Reply
    KORDS
    Participant

Hello,

If you have your music already uploaded to a Content ID Provider, and a non-exclusive library tries to upload that same music to a Content ID Provider, what will happen?

Will it get blocked by YouTube or will there be a conflict?

#32684 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

If you have your music already uploaded to a Content ID Provider, and a non-exclusive library tries to upload that same music to a Content ID Provider, what will happen?

I would imagine AdRev would pick up the conflict first and notify you. At that point you would work it out with the other party.

#32685 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

I posted recently in another thread about having this exact same problem. I started a YouTube channel to promote some RF tracks and link to my P5 page. Eight out of the first ten I uploaded came back being monetized by two different NE libraries. And like Mark says, multiple offenders. I had been told by both in the past my tracks had been removed. I’m sure, like Art has found, that many others of mine are still improperly (illegally?) in the system. I mentioned in my previous post that what bothers me is the companies doing this are putting me in breach of contracts I’ve signed with NE libraries stating I would not have my music in the content ID system. I agree it is very much so getting out of hand.

By the way, during all this I learned from adrev that there is no way for them to remove tracks from YouTube’s content ID. They have a process in place of deactivating reference files so content ID won’t be able to make any matches but tracks are not technically removed from content ID by adrev.

#32686 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’m sure, like Art has found, that many others of mine are still improperly (illegally?) in the system.

Yep, just found out one library (and AdRev) had confirmed that they had removed our music in 2017 but they come up as one of the companies still showing in AdRev with our music. Turns out they had re-uploaded another track after they said they took our music down in 2017.

Also, just received an e-mail from AdRev that they are removing all of our music from 3rd party clients. WHEW!

I have to say that both AdRev and Haawk have made it very simple to get unauthorized placements removed.

By the way, during all this I learned from adrev that there is no way for them to remove tracks from YouTube’s content ID. They have a process in place of deactivating reference files so content ID won’t be able to make any matches but tracks are not technically removed from content ID by adrev.

That’s shocking.

#32687 Reply
    KORDS
    Participant

So there are non-exclusive libraries that specifically make a contractual agreement that they don’t accept ContentID music even if it is handled by the owner of the copyright?

Also, when searching through the Access Libraries I select “Yes” under “YouTube ContentID”

Does this mean, from a non-exclusive Stand Point :

A. Yes, This library Accepts Music that has Content ID (Handled by the Author)

or

B. Yes, This library Registers your music Under a Content ID provider for you

?

#32688 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

So there are non-exclusive libraries that specifically make a contractual agreement that they don’t accept ContentID music even if it is handled by the owner of the copyright?

They will not accept music in Content ID. Too many problems for their clients.

Also, when searching through the Access Libraries I select “Yes” under “YouTube ContentID”

No, they will not register for you but for themselves, even though they do not own the copyright. Check with the library first though as each may be different.

#32690 Reply
    KORDS
    Participant

Perfect, thank you!

#32691 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Perfect, thank you!

I updated my answer. Please re-read.

#32692 Reply
    KORDS
    Participant

Right, before submitting I will notify them of my situation and see if they will accept my music even tho I handle the content ID.

All the best!

#32695 Reply
    DavidM
    Participant

I have a question: I too want to avoid stuff going onto YouTube content ID. On songtradr with its monetisation you can tick to be with Big Sync Music amongst other people. What’s not clear from them and many other libraries is whether your tracks will end up with content ID on YouTube. What I don’t want is people buying my tracks legitimately from elsewhere and finding they can’t use them.

Does anyone have any experience of this on Songtradr?

#32697 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

What’s not clear from them and many other libraries is whether your tracks will end up with content ID on YouTube.

Yep, that’s what we all are dealing with. Doesn’t seem to matter when some libraries say they will not place your music in Content ID. They do it anyways!

If you have a small catalog you can run a test on YouTube. Upload a video (it can just be an image running over the course of the video and set to “Private”. You will find quickly whether there is a strike against you and you can contest it. They usually give you enough info to track down the company that placed the track.

I have thousands of tracks so that route is impracticable for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Reply #32681 in YouTube Content ID, AdRev and Copyright Infringment
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us