YouTube views and $$$

Home Forums General Questions YouTube views and $$$

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    D. Hollandsworth

So back in Feb I had a song licensed from a RF site and used in a cool video that went viral… hitting 4,000,000 views in 3 days! So will I earn anything from this? How? Is it based on views or ad clicks? BTW, I did enable ContentID and also Rumblefish via CD Baby. The video as of today now has over 6,000,000 views!

#15952 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Congrats! I hope you make a lot from it. I haven’t had much experience with a content ID system before (other than repeatedly asking AdRev to remove my non-ex tracks) but a few different sources have told me the rate is about $2 per 1000 views. Here’s hoping you get $12,000+ : )

Maybe you have to split that with Rumblefish, and I don’t know if there’s a minimum threshold before YouTube starts paying out.

Also, you don’t know for sure what the license was like – maybe the video maker was able to monetize the video by paying an extra fee (and cutting you out of the content ID royalties). Keep that in mind – I don’t want to get your hopes up.

It would be great if you could update us on how this goes for you. Many people (especially in the non-exclusive side of things) consider content-ID to be a very bad thing, as it interferes with monetizing YT videos. I’ve heard completely different attitudes from people in the trailer music business.

I wonder – it’s a RF site, so how are you in a content ID system?

#15953 Reply
    D. Hollandsworth

Yeah, I’m a little confused myself on how it works. I know the owner of the video has it monetized and rightly so. He’s making good money from it. I just opted in to YT’s ContentID system and also what CDBaby offers. Are they the same? Not sure… I don’t care about monetizing my own videos because most have less than 50 views anyway.

Here’s what CDBaby says:
    Monetizing your songs: With CD Baby’s YouTube Monetization Program, we’ll make sure YouTube identifies ANY video that uses your music — and we’ll make sure you get paid a share of the ad revenue.

#15954 Reply
    D. Hollandsworth

Here’s something else I found on CDBaby. This happen every time I upload my own video with my own music. Sometimes it happens within minutes, other times it might take weeks for it to get identified.

Important note for YouTube users: If you log into your YouTube account and see a copyright notice next to your videos, don’t worry! CD Baby has partnered with Rumblefish to collect money for the usage of your music in videos (this includes videos you upload). This notice means the content ID system identified your song and it’s now setup to generate revenue for that video. You don’t need to take action. Neither CD Baby or Rumblefish are claiming ownership of your song.

#15955 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Congrats David. Are these songs exclusive to Rumblefish through CD Baby?

If not, you may run into problems with other libraries into which you’ve put these songs. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Michael

#15956 Reply
    D. Hollandsworth

Not that I know of. I have the song for sale online via CDBaby… and on about 4 other non-exclusive RF sites.

#15957 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Not that I know of. I have the song for sale online via CDBaby… and on about 4 other non-exclusive RF sites.

ContentID requires that the music be exclusive. Many NE RF sites, like MusicLoops and AudioSparx, will drop you if you participate in content ID, because their YT clients will get copyright notices on their videos.

There are other threads here that discuss issues with ContentID, and the requirement for exclusivity.

#15958 Reply
    spaz

David, as far as I know a video does not ‘share’ monetization. It is more of ab either or situation. Either the content creator monetizes it and earns all revenue or you make a copyright claim against the creator of the video via Rumblefish and then he loses his right to monetize the video and you then gain the right.
    The client you licensed the music to might not be too happy about that once Rumblefish starts taking away their youtube earnings.

Enabling contentID means you are going after unauthorized uses of your music on youtube. It shouldn’t mean that you want to go after the people that have already paid you to use your music in their videos.

#15959 Reply
    D. Hollandsworth

Exclusivity with whom?

#15960 Reply
    spaz

>Exclusivity with whom?
    Youtube ContentID is for exclusive rights holders only. You cannot give Rumblefish the right to claim your copyright on youtube for you if you are also distributing your music through other non-exclusive RF sites.

You also cannot ‘share’ earnings on a youtube video where your music was used. When Rumblefish makes their copyright claim on your client’s video it will deny him the right to earn any revenue on the video (the video that he created and legally licensed the music for) and you would then earn all the revenue.
    Not sure that your client would be too happy about that.

#15963 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@D.Hollandsworth, you could be heading for problems with the RF sites you are on. Check these links:

YouTube Content ID Program

GoDigital Media Group

#15966 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Hmm, so maybe it’s best I remove this particular track from any RF libraries? I’d be fine with that.

#15967 Reply
    spaz

You would still not earn any money from that particular video at this point. Your client has paid you to use your music, I assume they were given a license that states this and they would use that license to dispute any claim that is made on their video.
    The youtube contentID system exists to monetize unauthorized uses of your music, not authorized ones.

#15968 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

I thought CDBaby uses both YT’s contentID and Rumblefish? Confused in Virginia….

#15969 Reply
    spaz

>I thought CDBaby uses both YT’s contentID and Rumblefish? Confused in Virginia….

CD Baby employs Rumblefish to upload and manage your music via Youtube ContentID. Rumblefish and CD Baby would both take cuts out of any earnings you make.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Reply #15959 in YouTube views and $$$
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us