Zack Hemsey

Home Forums Share It! Zack Hemsey

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    woodsdenis
    Participant

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/zackhemsey

Much derided by some film music snobs but a great composer and an interesting story to say the least.

#11558 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I have no patience for music snobs. Zack is a very talented, and successful young man.

Thanks for posting Denis.

#11559 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Zack’s dad (Lou) and I go back a long way and there’s a lot to the story (not all of it public). A very talented guy as well as his dad. Here’s a post from Lou a while back.

MASTERING – “What’s The Deal?”

#11562 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

A very small world Art alright, MichaelL first alerted me to him a couple of years ago and while idling away on the net I came across this vid. It really goes to show that with talent and hard work you never know when the next break is comming.

Also Zack help popularize that hi impact crossover sound. Everyone including myself thought that “Inception” trailer was Hans Zimmer at his best. Nice one.

On a side note Art , you need to write “the book” with all the stories made public LOL

#11563 Reply
    Wildman

Talented dude… 🙂

#11564 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

On a side note Art , you need to write “the book”

I actually am working on a book. LOL!

#11565 Reply
    euca

Wow, great stuff from Hemsey!

@Art, that’s great about the book, congrats.

On another side note, in the Miserlou video from “Swingin Affair” is that you playing the Strat?

#11566 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

On another side note, in the Miserlou video from “Swingin Affair” is that you playing the Strat?

Yep, I was “swingin’ and swayin'”. LOL!

#11570 Reply
    Lupo

Yep, I was “swingin’ and swayin'”. LOL!

it doesn’t get much more legendary than that does it ?!?

regarding Zack Hemsey I don’t know who would be so daft to deride his work. Trailer music is well respected genre per se. Quite often film composer don’t even write the trailers for the film they scored and film studios need those trailer guys to deliver effective promos to their audiences and make their products work.

#11580 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

regarding Zack Hemsey I don’t know who would be so daft to deride his work.

Unfortunately success breeds contempt in very insecure people.There is a section of the film music community who see film music as high end orchestral composition . Some of it is no doubt, but they get into a frenzy when the see/hear anything break that mould, and even more so by someone who in their view has not had a “classical music” education.

Hans Zimmer regularly gets derided and pummeled by the same types.

#11581 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

There is a section of the film music community who see film music as high end orchestral composition . Some of it is no doubt, but they get into a frenzy when the see/hear anything break that mould, and even more so by someone who in their view has not had a “classical music” education.

Well if a film composer has not studied at a conservatory, that composer is shameful. We must work to maintain the proper level of rigor, training, and education to OUR craft!!!

(heavy heaping of sarcasm here, folks :-))

Since I see that Zack’s dad is a highly successful music pro himself, I wonder has he given Zack any tips. Having a parent who has worked with great artists and who has done work for multinational companies would be intimidating.

#11582 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Unfortunately success breeds contempt in very insecure people.

It’s not just insecurity Denis. A lot of it is resentment. Some composers, who feel deserving (perhaps because of their conservatory training) blame writers like Zimmer for moving the industry away from “old school” traditional orchestration. Times and tastes change, but they’ve got to blame someone.

#11584 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Having a parent who has worked with great artists and who has done work for multinational companies would be intimidating.

DI…I can’t speak for Zack, but my Dad was a film maker. Learning from him, and from the people around him, including composers, recording engineers, sound recordists and music editors, was invaluable. Growing up in that environment, you absorb so much. I was very very lucky.

Zack’s Dad, Lou, is a great, and very talented guy. The apple, as they say, doesn’t fall far from the tree.

_Michael

#11585 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

It’s not just insecurity Denis. A lot of it is resentment. Some composers, who feel deserving (perhaps because of their conservatory training) blame writers like Zimmer for moving the industry away from “old school” traditional orchestration. Times and tastes change, but they’ve got to blame someone.

Too true, and that attitude to a lesser extent pervades in the library music business too.

I remember distinctly as a young man, I went to music school. Whilst studying theory and orchestration the “rule” about consecutive fifths came up. Being a bit of a rebel I had a lengthy discussion with my very conservative teacher, stressing that the “Pink Panther” theme broke this rule and wouldn’t be the same without it. He had never heard of the Pink Panther or Henry Mancini. I left shortly afterwards and joined a rock band!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Zack Hemsey
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us