Zero placements timeline with a library

Home Forums General Questions Zero placements timeline with a library

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Hi all,

What is your process for having your music in libraries where you’ve earned zero placements (assuming there are 40+ tracks)? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? 5 years?

At what point do you stop adding new music to their library?

Where in the timeline do you find yourself just asking for your music to be removed from their library?

I’m at 18 months of zero placements with a handful of NEx libraries. As I’ve done more research with what’s getting placed in these libraries I’m finding that it’s quite different from the music I produce. So my thought was to simply have my music removed from their library and move on rather than be another composer gumming up the system.

Thoughts/discussion?

#20746 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I’m at 18 months of zero placements with a handful of NEx libraries.

The non-exclusive companies are not doing as great as they used to. Consider pulling all of your music from non-exclusive companies. The money generated from most of these companies is low.

There are many exclusive libraries with better music and affordable prices. Most non-exclusive companies are probably not going to be able to compete.

Research the best exclusive music libraries for the styles of music that you write. Submit your music to those companies.

It will take more time to do this. But it will end up bringing greater benefit. That is my advice. Others may have greater insights.

#20747 Reply
    Jay

I stopped submitting to a certain NE that went to a perpetual term with their supposed “next big thing” TV division – going on 3 years and not one placement (nor have I heard of others with placements) they should let people out of that deal…it’s pretty ridiculous over there..from where I stand it seems they tricked people and now they can’t get their music out..one other NE that I’m in still gets me regular placements…I have music with some NE brokers but I look at those companies differently as one placement could be quite substantial..pulled my music out of all RF libraries a while back and have been trying to land some deals on my own..I still don’t like the exclusive model..just my opinion of course..

#20748 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’m at 18 months of zero placements with a handful of NEx libraries.

A lot depends on what you mean by NEx. Do you mean like JP and SK, companies that go after TV placements. Or, do you mean royalty free libraries, that a different client base?

I can’t really address the former. With that latter and 40 tracks you should have seen sales.

#20749 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Thanks for the input, guys.

Do you mean like JP and SK, companies that go after TV placements. Or, do you mean royalty free libraries, that a different client base?

Of the two you mentioned I’m with one of them exclusively. I’m talking more in the vein of: MD, MS, iT, BT, TS, and a couple more technically.

For the most part, I don’t think it’s the fault of any of the libraries per se as much as I feel I’ve just chosen the wrong places to have my music represented.

I’m currently with a few exclusives and find most of my time is spent writing music for them. There’s direction, a sense of purpose, and a feeling that my music is a lot more than just a track #.

Great discussion thus far; keep it coming!

#20750 Reply
    Paolo
    Participant

As I’ve done more research with what’s getting placed in these libraries I’m finding that it’s quite different from the music I produce

Hey Mike,

I think you’ve hit on a key issue right there – what else has been getting placed. But if there’s no downside to keeping your music parked there, why not leave it there and forget about it for another year or two?

Unless, you’re finding it a source of disappointment that just plain feels bad — and pulling your tracks would be like finally pulling out a splinter. Then grab those tweezers.

#20751 Reply
    bassplaya07
    Participant

I have to disagree with Desire_Inspires – I’ve been doing okay at MD and ASocket. I’m all Nex as of right now. Been thinking about trying to push my way into ANet, but that’s supposedly a tough cookie to crack :O

#20752 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

I’m currently with a few exclusives and find most of my time is spent writing music for them. There’s direction, a sense of purpose, and a feeling that my music is a lot more than just a track #.

Yes!

That is how I feel. I like writing to briefs. It gives me a sense of purpose. It is better than just writing random songs and hoping something sticks.

Hopefully things work out for you.

I have to disagree with Desire_Inspires – I’ve been doing okay at MD and ASocket. I’m all Nex as of right now. Been thinking about trying to push my way into ANet, but that’s supposedly a tough cookie to crack :O

Yes, that is the crazy part. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa. I am glad that you are doing good with non-exclusive companies. Stick with them if that is working for you.

#20754 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Paolo,

Thanks for the insight! To me, the downside of keeping my music there and ignoring it just adds to the clogging and congestion for other composers who might have the right style and sound to do better in these places. If everyone removed their music out of the places they know it probably doesn’t really belong, it might be a little bit of a different space.

I don’t know if it feels like a splinter as much as a big disappointment and waste of time and energy. Again, a lot of it is my fault for not doing enough research (continuously) to make sure the libraries were the best fit from the start.

#20756 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

To me, the downside of keeping my music there and ignoring it just adds to the clogging and congestion for other composers who might have the right style and sound to do better in these places.

Removing music is a bit of a cathartic experience for me. By getting rid of something old, I feel the desire to start something new.

#20757 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

Regarding the original post, I have struggled with that question as well. (And I am referring to libraries that are TV oriented) I have joined some NEx libraries where I saw placements almost immediately….that surprised me. I joined one that took two years to show anything, then they kept rolling in. And here was the interesting one: a library flying the ’boutique’ flag, 5 years in, a ton of tracks, and I had thrown in the towel….then a placement showed up. With NEx I think it is a fair thing to feed new music to the library for 1-2 years, then it is on them. I write exclusively at this point, so all of my NE tracks are in libraries and waiting…..or dying.

#20767 Reply
    Advice

Mike
    There is no answer to this question.

1. You can’t lump all types of libraries, even if non-exclusive, together. For example, under non-exclusive, there are broadcast reality TV oriented ones such as JP and SK, RF ones such as P5 and AS, and high end non-exclusive broadcast like Crucial. How long it might take to see a placement or sale can vary from weeks to years to never.

2. The alignment of the stars between your tracks and client needs sometimes comes often and sometimes not.

I would say that in general, in the RF market, it may take a shorter amount of time to see if you get sales than with high end broadcast placements. I hear all the time of people signing tracks to high end libraries (exc or non-exc) and getting their first placement 3-5 years later.

With reality TV oriented ones like JP or SK, it also can take months or years (or never).

So what do you look at? (1) The track record of the library. (2) How do your tracks compare with what they typically place? (if you can find out)… The wrong style tracks in a good RF might not sell, for example.

#20768 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

I would say 2 years without a placement would be the max for me to stop feeding a library (NE or exclusive).
    I also prefer to write to briefs,whether it’s NE (like CNVRS) or exclusive
    (like SK,EPTM etc).

In 3 occasions (one NE,2 exclusives),after i had submitted to several briefs for them,i started getting more personal emails from the library admins.They were asking for more music from me,in specific styles (or even specific tracks!) i had submitted to them in the recent past.
    I’ve already seen some results from 1 of the exclusives.It’s pretty early to say something about the other 2 (i’m only 7-9 months with them) but these personal requests mean i’m on the right direction to get there.

RF model is different but i recall you’re not interested in this part of music biz anyway.

#20772 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Great insight in this discussion.

@Kubed
    : You’re right, I’m not particularly interested in doing much of anything in the RF market.

#20788 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I received money in the October BMI distribution for some cues that I did 18 years ago, for an exclusive. First time for those cues.

Patience! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Zero placements timeline with a library
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us