Anyone really concerned about AI in our business?

Home Forums General Questions Anyone really concerned about AI in our business?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    abellboy
    Participant

This may sound like a stupid question (wouldn’t be the first time for me!) BUT, until the cost of training these models goes down, I fail to see how an AI music company focused on Sync will make money:

1) Look at this article, the TLDR is GPT cost $700,000 A DAY to keep running! Now, I’m sure Udio, and the others cost less to train since they are more focused, but then again, I’m not sure of the resources needed to preprocess the audio to allow proper training of the model.

https://www.virtasant.com/ai-today/navigating-generative-ai-costs—a-comprehensive-guide-to-implementation-strategies-and-expenses

2) New styles will be very hard for these models to emulate as there will be few examples to train on at EXACTLY the time when TV will want the “hottest” sound. How would Suno or Udio have faired when every trailer wanted DubStep and Skrillex was the only artist doing it?

3) Look at your BMI or ASCAP royalties… In the “new world” of streaming, it’s not uncommon for my music to be on 20 shows… major shows with big names…. and the total royalty to be $47.

So I just don’t know how, with the meager royalties, AI companies with a huge overhead are going to survive this environment.

Just FYI, my “day job” is in AI/Machine Learning and I get a front row seat to the budgets needed to stand-up and pay for training enviornments…. not pretty..

Art Munson
    Keymaster

@abellboy great topic and great point. It seems to me that AI is always looking backwards. So, staying current with the latest musical trends would be difficult if not impossible.

mdouger86
    Participant

If specifically mean generating full music with AI, then yeah, it’s simultaneously scary but also has all the issues you mentioned too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us