Music Licensing: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Home Forums General Questions Music Licensing: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

• This topic has 11 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by BIGG ROME.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BIGG ROME

When Alexandra Patsavas gave the Keynote at the Billboard Film and TV Music Conference, the Hollywood Reporter proudly publicized her as someone who “championed the work of independent artists in TV and feature films.” This sentence, when read on a muggy LA morning, stuck in my proverbial craw. It seemed to corroborate some iterative journalism I had read earlier that month on Wikipedia, which stated that her “ongoing search for suitable songs often leads to unsigned or non-mainstream performers.”

Why was I stalking Patsavas on the Internet? The answer is simple. I was curious why she was held on a pedestal as an industry gatekeeper for breaking independent artists. And further, what artist has she plucked out of obscurity and put into the end credits of the O.C.?

read the full here

http://blogcritics.org/music-licensing-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

fauxmusicsupe

Saw this on my twitter, the article is 100% false, no more truth to it than the Nigerian prince who needs your help collecting his inheritance.

Read why – http://fauxmusicsupe.tumblr.com/

woodsdenis
    Participant

@bigg rome .The text in your post is copied from the article, it should be clear that it is, and the source credited. It comes across as your original writing, which it isn’t .

BIGG ROME

@woodsdenis Do you not see READ FULL here.

You guys love to fight over simple things. It is right there with a link to the full article. Its call an “excerpt” post.

BIGG ROME

@fauxmusicsupe You let him have it,lol

Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Good read Bigg Rome. I have heard of her before and there seemed to be a lot of good hype surrounding her. As we all know, there is always more to the story.

More Advice

It’s a “Non-story” from start to finish. I happen to know the woman. I am facebook friends with her, grew up in a similar neighborhood as her, submitted to her, etc. This is a just a bunch of nonsense from a bitter songwriter who did not place their song into a show or feels jaded and shut out in the process.

Alexandra Patsavas does not have any evil or agenda driven bone in her body. She does her job with dignity which is to simply match appropriate songs to the films and shows she music supes for. She has had a lot of press surrounding her because she has Grey’s Anatomy under her wings. Grey’s Anatomy’s days are probably numbered. This also has 0 to do with what most of us here are trying to accomplish which is placing INSTR music cues on as many shows, films, business videos, spots, and promos as possible or selling hundreds of tracks in RF libraries.

I can think of many other areas to invest time into outside of writing a song for Grey’s Anatomy. She recently posted a music video on facebook of a band her label signed. Sounds like “Mumford Suns”…She just as all of us do is trying to create buzz for their new projects. Needless to say, I was not impressed with the tune, felt immediately that it was a “market chasing” act riding the coat tails of m and Sons. I chose not to comment on her post, and was keen to notice that not many Likes or Views were occurring.

Desire_Inspires
    Participant

This also has 0 to do with what most of us here are trying to accomplish which is placing INSTR music cues on as many shows, films, business videos, spots, and promos as possible or selling hundreds of tracks in RF libraries.

I do not see the need for frustration. It is just a story. I am interested in the story.

woodsdenis
    Participant

@woodsdenis Do you not see READ FULL here.

You guys love to fight over simple things. It is right there with a link to the full article. Its call an “excerpt” post.

“Quotation marks(“) are used to enclose words that are quoted from the original source, or to set off dialog from narrative. They always come in pairs—open quotation marks and close quotation marks—which in most typefaces (albeit not this one) are typographically distinct. We’ll help sort this all out, and show you how to quote things “properly.””

read full here

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Quotation-Marks-Correctly

See what I did there , makes it easier doesn’t it. You and I know its an “excerpt” post because, wait for it, it has quotes around it.
    Wether you like it or not it has been a standard convention in grammar for as long as I remember.

BTW It is not a fight , I am simply correcting you. Don’t change the issue or point of my post. You may choose to continue on in error, at least now you know that you are doing so. Crediting original work correctly, is very important.

BIGG ROME

Seriously man, I am already spoken for, its not that big of deal.

Desire_Inspires
    Participant

The bad and ugly of music licensing revolves around signing contracts, sending music, and never receiving any money.

BIGG ROME

I would agree on that Desire, Especially the receiving no money part. Truly Ugly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us