Should I renegotiate the deal or ..?

Home Forums General Questions Should I renegotiate the deal or ..?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anya
    Participant

Greetings,

I belong to a couple of ML with over 325 tracks uploaded.
    But STILL trying to understand licensing.

I have one track (two versions, :30 and :15 alt) that is used in the radio commercials of a major US retailer for over a year.
    For these tracks I am compensated $1,750 a month.
    I have yet to upload the tracks to any music library or BMI.
    If I upload to say, Scorekeepers, or AudiiMicro, etc, how does that affect the retailer?
    Is there an additional charge to them?

Thanks for your opinion(s)!

Advice
    Participant

Anya
    If I understand correctly, your deal with the retailer is direct, not involving a music library. Is your agreement with them exclusive or non-exclusive? If it’s exclusive, you cannot put the track in a music library (or pitch it anywhere else). If it’s non-exclusive, you could place the track in non-exclusive libraries. The ones you mention may be exclusive. I know SK is, not sure about AM. You could look that up here on MLR. You absolutely should register your track under original title (the title used by the retailer) with BMI as you might be leaving back-end PRO money on the table. If you sign with a non-exclusive library, they will register it with your PRO with a modified title such as “PREFIX-Your Title” to allow them to collect the back end for only their placements.

I would absolutely NOT try to renegotiate your current deal!!! You are getting a nice income stream of $1750 per month ($21K per year!!). Very few of our tracks ever make that kind of money. CONGRATS! Don’t mess with what’s not broken. Attempting to renegotiate could end up with them dropping you and it’s not worth the risk.

HTH
    😀

Anya
    Participant

Hi HTH,
    It looks like my REPLY was not submitted…
    THANK YOU for the great info.
    It is very much appreciated!!

Best to you,

Anya

Anya
    Participant

Another question…How does registering with BMI affect the retailer using my music? In addition to their compensation to me, are they charged again?
    How does that work??
    THANK YOU for any insight.
    🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us