Another Royalty Ripoff!

Home Forums Share It! Another Royalty Ripoff!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Mike

I’ve had this happen many times including over seas placements too. I’m currently on SESAC (US), but which service digital or standard PRO truly gets the money we are owed back to us properly? Why do we pretend these companies are here to protect us and to track down our hard earned pay? I’m looking for the best out there…anyone?!

#34226 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

As sucky as this seems;
    As incompetent as this seems;
    As corrupt as this seems;
    As debilitating as this seems;
    As frustrating as this seems;

I just consider it a cost of doing business. I know that’s not what you want to hear Art, and I REALLY hope you get some satisfaction in the matter – (and GOOD for you sticking it to them), but my experience over the years is that you can’t “fight city hall”. And unless you have risen to the elite few that get ear service by our beloved PRO, you get nothing. The fact is, many of us would be retired if they paid out as they should. Concentrating on these inequities has left me frustrated, and beat down, and that’s not a good combination for creativity and creating the best music you can. For ME, I just move on and hope for the best next time.

I have a call in right now to BMI asking why I have tens of millions of performances per quarter on Amazon VOD, and barely make $100 for it. TENS OF MILLIONS!!! By THEIR numbers. not mine. Or why Netflix only lists “1” performance per quarter, and we just have to take their word for it.

The whole PRO system is out of control and corrupt, and they move money around to and where they want / need it. “Fairness”, “clarity”, and “accountability” are thrown out the window in exchange for “opaqueness”, “ignoring the client”, and outright lying.

To those coming in,…..you want into the business? Get used to this kind of corrupt and incompetent BS. A missed performance here or there means nothing to me. Hundreds of missed performance do not phase me. It gets me pumped when they turn into thousands, or GASP – MILLIONS (over time) of worldwide performances that get summarily ignored.

And believe it or not, MILLIONS is not out of the realm os possibility in current styles of “broadcast / streaming” paradigms. It’s happening. It’s real. Writers of production music are getting ****** every day. My advice for those coming in is to get used to it, write more, write better, hope for a better future.

#34227 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

PS – regarding my 3rd paragraph – do you think I’ll get a call back? It’s been a week. I’d be willing to wager good money that I’ll never hear a peep. What are they going to say? Yes LAwriter, we only pay out $0.000005 per performance?

Ha! I can guarantee you that BMI is collecting more than that. you could multiply that by 100 or even 1000 and it still would make a 2 bit cable performance look great.\

Highway robbery I tell ya…..

#34228 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

my experience over the years is that you can’t “fight city hall”

My experience is you can fight City Hall, you just can’t win. 🙂

#34232 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

My experience is you can fight City Hall, you just can’t win. ?

Haha!!! :). Yeah, but kind of the same thing, no?

#34234 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I reviewed BMI’s contract. The answers to the questions in this thread and various “HOW CAN THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS?” threads are in their writer agreement. I’ll explain later.

#34235 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

I reviewed BMI’s contract. The answers to the questions in this thread and various “HOW CAN THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS?” threads are in their writer agreement. I’ll explain later.

Is there a “you can fight city hall, but you can’t win” clause in it?? Hahaaa! 🙂

Look forward to hearing more Michael. Thanks.

#34236 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Can I remind everyone that Art is only in the very early phases with this claim? For starters, it’s only Feb 7 and Q1, 2020 TV performance royalties will not be due until September’s final distribution. If BMI said affirmatively “We are not paying you for the performances of that single care spot no matter what” then yes…that is a problem. I don’t think that is the case at this moment.

But Yes LA Writer…I do think we realistically only get paid for perhaps 50% of what actually broadcasts on TV worldwide…if that….

And Frankly, PRO’s just need to get way more aggressive collecting money from YOUTUBE/ Google, Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, etc….
    These are all the companies with $1,000,000,000,000,000 or more in market capitalization (1 TRILLION)
    These stocks are at all time highs and seemingly make new all time highs year after year.
    We are getting paid .01 cents often on our statements for these so called “Streams” or “performances”…whatever you want to call them. I say to ASCAP, SESAC, BMI poach some staffers at these companies and pay them a big bonus to grab more performance royalty money from these companies.

In Googles latest report they claimed…welll…read this (all you PRO board members and send some mafia over there) to collect some money for all of us.

https://www.businessinsider.com/youtube-ad-revenue-15-billion-2019-google-breakout-2020-2

To put this number in context, the $15 billion total for ad revenue means YouTube is bigger than media conglomorate Viacom (last valued at $12 billion). It’s also more than 20% of the $70 billion that went into all of US TV ad spending in 2019.

Guess what? Viacom pays a hell of a lot more to us composers/ publishers in performance royalty income from their TV shows and ads they run on their networks. The PRO’s have their eyes off the ball and their heads up their A$$. YOUTUBE is making so much money they don’t know what to do with it.

#34237 Reply
    Renzi
    Participant

Well I know I’ll get thrown off the report for this following comment:
    Yes the PRO‘,s are not beyond guilt in these kinds of situations, but neither are composers. We composers are trapped in a very rough situation. That’s why I and many other composers have been pushing for a guild just for composers – songwriters possibly. Collective bargaining. Ever hear of it, it works. My evidence; the Teamsters union. Film people don’t mess with them. Filmmakers and Music users, producers, Tv etc. will mess with the AFM and mess with ASCAP and BMI, skirt around the rules and contracts and pay as little Royalty’s to them as possible. They are very reluctant to mess with SAG and AFTRA both very good strong guilds. So that’s the conundrum. I know there will never be a guild. And I know Composer’s will continue to bow down to “music suppliers”
    Music and Composers are treated as commodities, by these people, just like bread and milk. We just have to fumble along and make the best of it.
    I Look forward to your comments, sorta.. JR

#34238 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Well I know I’ll get thrown off the report for this following comment:

Why would you think that?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 85 total)
Reply To: Another Royalty Ripoff!
Your information: