Are You Genre Specific?

Home Forums General Questions Are You Genre Specific?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    NY Composer
    Participant

I don’t know if this topic was discussed in length. I didn’t see any recent threads on this.

Do you folks stay with your “Strong” genre of music or do you branch out per reqeust, brief, or industry needs?

I have a thing for Epic Orchestral and Investigative Tension but have written Smooth Jazz, Bossa Nova, Funk, etc, for certain briefs that I thought I could nail for a project.

What about you guys? Do you think it’s best to stay with your comfort zone?

#26727 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I enjoy getting out of my comfort zone and have had quite a bit of luck in getting those cues placed. I guess it’s because my nature is to be fascinated by music that isn’t natural to me, analyze it and try to create it.

#26728 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Do you think it’s best to stay with your comfort zone?

Simple answer – no.

Where’s the fun in that?

#26732 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

No. If your genre goes out of style you’re toast.

#26734 Reply
    BrianDWatson
    Participant

Sometimes if I’m writing in my comfort zone and get writer’s block or just feel a sense of blah, I’ll try my hand at something different. Sometimes it doesn’t do anything of value (except maybe I discover some patches I didn’t know I had) but sometimes I’ll whip up something out of the ordinary and cool. It may or not be marketable, but it’s better than not writing anything at all.

#26738 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

I enjoy getting out of my comfort zone and have had quite a bit of luck in getting those cues placed. I guess it’s because my nature is to be fascinated by music that isn’t natural to me, analyze it and try to create it.

Ditto Art. Some of my best placements came from genres that I worked on for the first time.

#26741 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

never. the way i see it, if it doesn’t move me emotionally or excite me i wouldn’t make or listen to it. also those people who have a passion for lets say Jazz for example are always going to be a million times better at making it than me who doesn’t like the genre.

#26744 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

also those people who have a passion for lets say Jazz for example are always going to be a million times better at making it than me who doesn’t like the genre.

My all time best selling/earning track is an African piece. What do I know about African music? I’m a middle aged guy living in Massachusetts since the 80s’s. I always wonder, why don’t the music supervisors just get a piece created by authentic African musicians? I don’t know why mine gets used frequently, but it does.

Other styles in my top ten for uses/sales are Indian, Bebop Jazz and Minimalist. How’s the old saying go? “When you limit yourself, you’re only limiting yourself”. 🙂

#26745 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Very true Mike,

I’m actually a Jazz musician and Fusion freak. The downside is nobody wants to listen to it 🙁 .

Once in a blue moon I’ll sell a Straight ahead or Smooth Jazz track.

#26780 Reply
    Mc_GTR
    Participant

Not really, but I work with an umbrella of genres, and ongoing develop the template for each. Sometimes I try something funny (for me), and keep the template so I can practice my chops for it along the way.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Are You Genre Specific?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us