Audiosparx and Pay Per Click (PPC)

Home Forums Commentary Audiosparx and Pay Per Click (PPC)

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Jay

and just to clarify..what I’ve heard is just about little or no plays (all of a sudden) and real slow sales for people who were doing well…nothing bad about the business itself..

MichaelL
    Participant

and just to clarify..what I’ve heard is just about little or no plays (all of a sudden) and real slow sales for people who were doing well…nothing bad about the business itself..

I wouldn’t read too much into that, or make a generalization about AudioSparx. Nothing lasts for ever, in this business. People who are doing well now, will not necessarily do well in the future. Catalogs, particularly “trendy” catalogs, have a shelf-life. At some point, for example, fewer clients will be interested in U2 or Coldplay sound-alikes, and those sales will drop. Demand changes with the seasons. The global economy is weak, Maybe buyers are looking for that same tracks on less expensive sites. There are any number of reasons.

The one thing you can’t do is upload a few hundred tracks and assume that you’re set for life.

_Michael

Jay

if that was aimed at me Michael i’ve hardly done that..i’m recording new material as I type this and write in 5 styles..my gripe is i’ve done everything they tell you to do there (and my stuff sells other places) but I get next to no listens @ AS – i’ve tweaked the metadata,changed categories and everything else you could imagine to get more attention there…i’m in year 4 w/them and read everything in the knowledge base at least twice – I read all the emails and opt into all the programs – I just want to be found in the damn search engine…is that too much to ask? Things should be picking up there for me as i’ve been there for a while but instead they’re going backwards – now they roll PPC out AGAIN after stopping that nonsense once already – everything I hear and read about AS lately has “me” really wondering if there’s a future there – i’ll probably just leave my sound effects there and take my music out if this keeps up – Jay

Art Munson
    Keymaster

Jay – i’ll probably just leave my sound effects there and take my music out if this keeps up – Jay

Well as far as I inderstood it you can’t just take stuff out from AS before a 5 year period, so Jay plese let us know about your progress with that, as I’m sure others here are feeling the same way as you about leaving tracks on there ,now that PPC is on…

Art Munson
    Keymaster

i’ve tweaked the metadata, changed categories and everything else you could imagine to get more attention there…i’m in year 4 w/them and read everything in the knowledge base

Hey Jay, your situation is similar to mine. I know I could do more at AS but I do tweak the metadata, change categories, listen to the top sellers, upload new tracks, etc. It’s hard to stay engaged with AS when after a few years and over 600 tracks (includes alts) it amounts to about $115 per month. This is way below what I get from other RF sites and a miniscule percentage of my PRO monies.

MichaelL
    Participant

if that was aimed at me Michael i’ve hardly done that..i’m recording new material as I type this and write in 5 styles..my gripe is i’ve done everything they tell you to do there (and my stuff sells other places)

Nah…not aimed at you Jay. Without hearing your tracks, it sounds like you’re doing everything right. I think this phrase “and my stuff sells other places” holds a bit of a key, which I alluded to.

Selling well elsewhere and not so much at AS, is something I’ve heard from a number of writers. IMHO there are several possibilities.

1) Size of catalog: We’re all a needle in a haystack,

2) Price point competition: A buyer has multiple choices: song “A” for $109.95 in one library or  song “A” in several other libraries for $39.95. where are they going to go?  Plus, you have to factor in the arrival of Musicult and gratis licenses. There has to be a certain percentage of previously paying customers, however small, who are now receiving gratis licenses. I’m guessing that the thinking is that this effect  will be offset by new MC customers who do pay. Time will tell on the one.

I’m not going to argue with AS pricing policies but, in the retail world mega stores, like Walmart, tend to offer lower prices than boutiques. With 500K tracks, AS  is definitely in the megastore category.

A  few years ago AS top artists had catalogs of about 300 tracks. Now it seems you need 900 tracks to get there. I think that it will take more tracks a year from now to do well than it does today. Another change in the landscape.

One of the first posts of Mark Petrie’s (when he was “Matt) that I remember reading, was that he determined AS was not worth the effort. Many feel that way. I’m sure that you’ll hear differently from Denis Woods or Erwin (50 styles). As Art says YMMV.

The jury is out for me, because I’ve only uploaded a few tracks. It’s way too soon to tell. But….different buyers have found the same obscure track twice, which tells me the system works. That’s all I need to know… for now.

Cheers

_Michael

MichaelL
    Participant

I would suggest that anyone having difficulty with sales at AudioSparx, or a drop in sales / plays, go into their Knowledge Base and track what genres are selling well.

It could be that your genres just sell better in other libraries. If you’re in a top selling genre then compare your tracks to the top sellers, and compare your metadata to the top sellers.

The AS Knowledge Base is a great resource.

_MIchael

Art Munson
    Keymaster

It could be that your genres just sell better in other libraries.

That’s true for one of the libraries I’m in but for a couple of others the genres that sell are all over the map.

MichaelL
    Participant

It could be that your genres just sell better in other libraries.
    That’s true for one of the libraries I’m in but for a couple of others the genres that sell are all over

In other words, there’s no magic bullet and no secret formula. The libraries have different models, different clients.
    With AS, I think the needle-in-a-haysrack factor is one issue. The other big issue is merely being another face in the crowd. If someone searches for hip hop “Jingle Bells” and 50 hip hop  versions of Jingle Bells pop up, what can you do? What are the chances that the buyer is going to listen to more than a few versions before  picking one?

Arguably, that’s what PPC is for (their argument). But, there’s an old saying in the advertising world…”Advertising works half of the time. We just don’t know which half.” My guess is that PPC, like all advertising, will work for some writers, some of the time. So, what’s new?

Maybe MusicCult will be different, for some, because the crowd is a bit smaller. As with everything else, time will tell.
    _Michael

]

axiomdreams
    Participant

Even though PPC was taken away, my plays have now started to increase once again, in fact very regularly. No sales for 3 months so far but my hope is that with MusicCult, there’ll be several broadcast placements. I guess with unpredictable changes like these, I need to start looking at the game differently. My backend payments have been increasing rapidly with other libraries and hopefully with these gratis deals on MC, it could boost em even more. So, maybe there’ll be way less upfront but more backends to come for 2013. Well, we’ll see.

AxD

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • The topic ‘Audiosparx and Pay Per Click (PPC)’ is closed to new replies.