Can a non-exclusive track find a new life as exclusive?

Home Forums Contracts Can a non-exclusive track find a new life as exclusive?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Edouardo
    Participant

I was wondering yesterday about the following:

Consider a track in RF/NE libraries with a non-perpetuity non-exclusive agreement (NPNEA). For example, P5. Suppose that the track was there for a couple of years and sold a few user licenses.

Now, I remove this track from all these libraries and platform, and submit it to a mid tier exclusive library.

Would that be acceptable, in the sense that it would not break the standard exclusive agreement that I would sign with the exclusive library?

#33577 Reply
    cozyhand3
    Participant

Good question. Look forward to hear what folks have to say.

#33578 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Would depend on the library. There are instances of an exclusive library only wanting tracks that have NEVER been in circulation.

#33579 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

Would that be acceptable, in the sense that it would not break the standard exclusive agreement that I would sign with the exclusive library?

Yes, but the professional thing to do is you should tell the exclusive library that you already sold a few licenses though your own efforts on a “do it yourself/ self publishing” platform. Everyone needs to keep in mind that when you upload, describe, and keyword your own works you are self publishing.

There is nothing wrong with selling and publishing your own works through a 3rd party platform, then removing that same track so you can grant the rights to license that same track to an exclusive publisher.

Also pay attention to words like “your music has never been licensed before” in the new exclusive contract you’d sign. That would make it unacceptable, but I am sure if they really wanted the track and you explained that you already licensed it a few times, that would not be a deal breaker.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Can a non-exclusive track find a new life as exclusive?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us