Can anyone please explain Soundexchange?

Home Forums PROs Can anyone please explain Soundexchange?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    AudioSparx
    Participant

Hi All,

In general yes you should register your music at SoundExchange. However, for participants at AudioSparx and RadioSparx, make sure to opt-out of SoundExchange’s international mandate. Their international mandate is highly-overreaching and provides SoundExchange exclusive control of all licensing of public performance rights for your music outside the USA. So, it is critical that you make sure to opt out of all foreign country participation at SoundExchange so you do not turn over exclusive control of your music to SoundExchange for licensing outside the US.

For SoundExchange members, AudioSparx does actually require that you and any rightsholders for your music opt out of SE’s International Mandate as a condition to participate at AudioSparx, so that we can direct license your music for public performance uses outside the USA.

Regards,

Lee Johnson
    @audiosparx.com">lee@audiosparx.com

#24196 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I recently called to ask about the artist/rights owner question. He told me to just submit the artist form, which has a column to tell them you also own the rights.

You might want to call them to confirm that, rather than take my word for it. Whenever I’ve had to call I get someone quickly and they’ve always been very helpful.

#24199 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Definitely fill out the Rights Owner info. When I first signed up I overlooked this but once I did was paid 14 months back pay! I actually make a little more each month as Rights Owner than I do as an artist.

#25063 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Hi Lee, thanks for this information.

Can you expand on what this International Mandate means?

Thanks.

#25073 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

(Bump)

I’m signed with AudioSparx so intend to opt out, but can anyone tell me what the consequences (positive and/or negative) of opting out of the SoundExchange International Mandate?

#25074 Reply
    Lee Johnson

Hi Angopop,

By opting out of their international mandate, it has the following effects, all related to commerce outside the US:

Positive Aspects of Opting Out:

1. You avoid giving SoundExchange exclusive control over licensing the rights to your sound recordings outside the US.

2. You can participate in direct-licensing commerce outside the US.

3. You can license your own music directly to clients outside the US.

Negative Aspects of Opting Out:

1. You can’t participate in statutory/compulsory licensing outside the US for your artist and/or sound recording owner rights.

AudioSparx is actively trying to get SoundExchange to change their international mandate from an exclusive license to a non-exclusive one, in the same way that ASCAP and BMI have been forced to operate in a strictly non-exclusive manner.

If we are successful, this will have a huge benefit for US artists and sound recording owners, because then they, and you, will be able to participate in both direct licensing and statutory licensing commerce outside the US, just like composers are able to do right now.

Regards,

Lee Johnson
    @audiosparx.com">lee@audiosparx.com

#25075 Reply
    angopop
    Participant

Does that mean that I would lose royalty payments from SoundExchange, for instance, on songs that otherwise SoundExchange would be collecting royalties on for international use?

#25076 Reply
    Lee Johnson

Yes, that is correct. This is what is very bad about the structure of their exclusive license, in that it forces you to choose to participate in either statutory licensing, or direct licensing, and you can’t do both simultaneously.

#29319 Reply
    stnmusic
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m finally filling out the Rights-Owner-Repertoire excel form. I only register the tracks that I sell via music libraries. So should I put “none” in the Album and Marketing Label fields? Also, the form requires ISRC which I don’t have since I don’t have a distributor. What do I do here?

Of course, I asked SE these questions but still waiting for their answer.. just resent the email with questions again, maybe more luck this time.

Thanks in advance!

#29320 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

None of the thousands of library tracks and TV/Film tracks that I’ve done have ever ended up in the arena that sound exchange pays out for. I think you are most likely wasting your time unless you’re releasing an “album” or the like for commercial release / broadcast / listening.

At least that’s how they explained it to me.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
Reply To: Can anyone please explain Soundexchange?
Your information: