Can someone please explain ASCAP’s “fell outside the survey time”?

Home Forums Newbie Questions Can someone please explain ASCAP’s “fell outside the survey time”?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sean

Hi all

I understand that some stations are surveyed stations. But if ASCAP has a valid cue sheet, and they can match it to the airing data, why is it they will not pay? I can not get member services to give me a valid reason. Thanks for any insight.

#40416 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Bump. Any ASCAP writers care to respond?

#40427 Reply
    Afilion
    Participant

ASCAP pays royalties for performances for different types of media (commercial, promo, program, and PSA) based on two types of surveys, census survey and sample survey. A Census Survey is a count of each performance. A Sample Survey is a projection based on a snapshot of a small amount of time (six hours) on a minimum number of channels (4 – 12).
    All uses are monitored by sample survey and are not paid unless performed during a sample survey time window. The following channels may or may not pay, even if cue sheets are filled. The show must fall in the survey time window or you will most likely not get paid.

SURVEY CHANNELS

ABC FAMILY
    AXS
    BIG TEN NETWORK
    Centric
    Cinemax
    Comcast SportsNet Bay Area HD
    Comcast SportsNet California HD
    Encore
    ESPN Deportes
    ESPN NEWS
    FCS Atlantic
    FCS Central
    FCS Pacific
    HBO
    HBO 2
    Motor Trend
    PLAYBOY
    Showtime
    Starz
    TMC
    TRUTV
    Turner Classic Movies

Almost all other channels are census. Therefore you will get paid if you are on the cue sheet and make a claim.

CENSUS CHANNELS

Channel Type: Network. All performances are monitored by census survey and are paid except affiliate local programming.

ABC
    CBS
    CBS
    Sports Network
    Cozi TV
    HSN
    ION TV
    MyNetwork TV
    NBC
    PBS
    QVC
    TBN
    Telemundo

Channel Type: Network 2. All programs, commercials and promos are monitored by census survey and are paid. All other programming is monitored by sample survey and is not paid unless performed during a sample survey time window. Affiliate local programming is not paid.

CWTV
    FOX
    FOX BUSINESS
    NETWORK
    Fox News
    Fox Sports 1
    Fox Sports 2

Channel Type: Network 3. All programs and promos are monitored by census survey and are paid. All other programming types are monitored by sample survey and are not paid unless performed during a sample survey time window. Affiliate local programming is not paid.

Univision

Channel Type: Cable. All commercials and programs are monitored by census survey and are paid. All other programming is monitored by sample survey and is not paid unless it falls within the sample survey time window.

A&E NETWORK
    AMC
    American Heroes Channel
    ANIMAL-PLANET
    BBC-AMERICA
    BET
    BET Jams
    BET Soul
    BLOOMBERG
    BRAVO
    CARTOON NETWORK
    CNBC
    CNBC World
    CNN
    COMEDY-CENTRAL
    COUNTRY-MUSIC-TELEVISION
    Destination America (old PLANET GREEN)
    DISCOVERY
    Discovery en Español
    Discovery Family
    Discovery Life (old DISCOVERY FIT & HEALTH)
    DISNEY
    DISNEY JR
    DISNEY-XD
    DIY NETWORK
    E!
    ESPN
    ESPN CLASSIC
    ESPN U
    ESPN2
    FOOD NETWORK
    FUSE TV
    FX
    FXX
    FYI
    GALAVISION
    GOLF
    Great American Country (GAC TV)
    GSN
    H2 / VICELAND
    HALLMARK
    HEADLINE NEWS NETWORK
    HGTV
    HISTORY
    INDEPENDENT FILM CHANNEL
    Investigation Discovery (old DISCOVERY ID)
    LIFETIME
    LOGO
    MLB NETWORK
    MSG Zone 1
    MSNBC
    NATIONAL-GEOGRAPHIC
    NBA NETWORK
    NBCSN
    NFL-NETWORK
    NHL NETWORK
    NICK-JR
    NICKELODEON
    NICKTOONS
    OPRAH-WINFREY-NETWORK
    OUTDOOR CHANNEL
    OVATION CHANNEL
    OXYGEN
    Pop
    REELZ
    SCIENCE
    SPIKE TV
    Sportsnet NY (SNY)
    Sundance
    SYFY
    TBS
    TEENNICK
    TENNIS CHANNEL
    THE COOKING CHANNEL
    THE WEATHER CHANNEL
    TLC
    TNT
    TRAVEL-CHANNEL
    TV LAND
    TV ONE
    USA Network
    YES Network

Channel Type: Cable 2. All programs, movies and commercials are monitored by census survey and are paid. All other programming is monitored by sample survey and is not paid unless performed during a sample survey time window.

MTV
    MTV2
    VH1
    VH1 CLASSIC (MTV CLASSIC)

#40428 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks Afilion, great info!

#40483 Reply
    Sean

Thank you for the info.

“All uses are monitored by sample survey and are not paid unless performed during a sample survey time window.”

So, are they using the sample surveys to determine whether or not performances occurred?

#40595 Reply
    uniqueplace
    Participant

no. the way I understand it is they are using sample surveys to determine if your performance can be paid or not.

For examen if the survey window is each Monday and Friday from 5 pm to 11 pm, and your music air 5 hours a day but only from Tuesday to Thursday, then you get absolutely nothing 😉

Also very interesting info from Affilion

“Channel Type: Cable. All commercials and programs are monitored by census survey and are paid. All other programming is monitored by sample survey and is not paid unless it falls within the sample survey time window.”

This means cable is paid on a census survey basis, but apparently there Is also some sample survey for “all other programming”
    anybody here gets what they mean by “all other programming” ?

#40596 Reply
    Dannyc
    Participant

another reason to switch to BMI. vote with your feet and make the move.

#40633 Reply
    sean

Thanks.

So, I guess I dont understand the first part of unique’s post. I asked if they use the sample surveys to determine whether or not performances occurred, and then unique says, no – they are using sample surveys to determine if your performance can be paid or not. Isn’t that the same thing? It should be. If the performance occurred, they shouldn’t need to determine if the performance can be paid or not.

#40637 Reply
    jerodetmusic
    Participant

Given this info, I have to admit I’m considering switching from ASCAP to BMI. I joined ASCAP due to the lower cost of registering my publishing company. Since BMI is free for writers, would it be viable to switch only my writer affiliation, and leaving the publishing on ASCAP? I haven’t had a placement yet so this won’t affect back catalog.

This would allow me to be paid from BMI as a writer even if ASCAP doesn’t pay on the publishing side for that placement, right?

Also, if a library places me & takes the publisher share this should give me a better chance of getting paid through BMI as a writer, even if ASCAP doesn’t pay publishing, correct?

Any other issues I might have to worry about with a split registration? Thanks.

#40642 Reply
    uniqueplace
    Participant

Sean, sorry English is not my native language.

You wrote this :

”If the performance occurred, they shouldn’t need to determine if the performance can be paid or not.”

If the performance occurred DURING THE SURVEY TIME, they pay the performance.

If the performance occurred outside of the survey time, no pay.

#40723 Reply
    Advice

>> All programs, commercials and promos are monitored by census survey and are paid. All other programming is monitored by sample survey and is not paid unless performed during a sample survey time window.

Can someone clarify this? What is the difference between “All programs” and “All other programs”? Confusing

#40736 Reply
    Sean

Ok, here’s the thing:

If they have the cue sheet, and the airing data, why is it they do not pay? Should they not pay with this info?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Can someone please explain ASCAP’s “fell outside the survey time”?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us