Composer Quotes

Home Forums Share It! Composer Quotes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Mark Holden just sent me some great quotes. Thanks Mark!
    ————–

Claude Debussy: “Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.”

Leonard Bernstein: “To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.”

Bela Bartok: “Competitions are for horses, not artists.”

Franz Liszt: “Mournful and yet grand is the destiny of the artist.”

Gustav Mahler: “I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.”

Igor Stravinsky: “Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal.”

Edward Elgar: “I always said God was against art and I still believe it.”

Johannes Brahms: “Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.”

Joseph Haydn: “There was no one near to confuse me, so I was forced to become original.”

George Bizet: “As a musician I tell you that if you were to suppress adultery, fanaticism, crime, evil, the supernatural, there would no longer be the means for writing one note.”

J.S. Bach: “I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well.”

Erik Satie: “The musician is perhaps the most modest of animals, but he is also the proudest.”

Robert Schumann: “To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts – such is the duty of the artist.”

Dmitri Shostakovich: “A creative artist works on his next composition because he was not satisfied with his previous one.”

Richard Strauss: “I may not be a first-rate composer, but I am a first-class second-rate composer.”

John Cage: “I can’t understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I’m frightened of the old ones.”

Karlheinz Stockhausen: “I’m an adventurer. I like invention, I like discovery.”

Benjamin Britten: “The old idea of a composer suddenly having a terrific idea and sitting up all night to write it is nonsense. Nighttime is for sleeping.”

Giacomo Puccini: “Inspiration is an awakening, a quickening of all man’s faculties, and it is manifested in all high artistic achievements.”

Malcolm Arnold: “Music is the social act of communication among people, a gesture of friendship, the strongest there is.”

Maurice Ravel: “The only love affair I have ever had was with music.”

Richard Wagner: “Imagination creates reality.”

Compiled by Classic FM – some associated photos at:
    http://www.classicfm.com/discover/music/inspiring-composer-quotes/#!

#13187 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Mark wanted to add one more.

“If you want to make a small fortune in the music business ….start with a big one.”

Love that one!

#13188 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

If you want to make a small fortune in the music business ….start with a big one.”

Fab

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Composer Quotes
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us