Composers /bands who don't use samples or orchestral instruments….

Home Forums General Questions Composers /bands who don't use samples or orchestral instruments….

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    OverDub
    Participant

Playing all live instruments, is all I do as well. The styles I specialize in, are all live instrument-centric genres like, country, blues, rock, americana, bluegrass, etc. Have had a bunch of placements. I sometimes wish I could do more of the more “popular” composing styles, with lots of samples and loops, but I think what I do, (and the other folks that play live instruments), sets my cues apart from the rest of the crowd. Just had a library ask what sample library I used for my cues, because I think they were confused how I did it! Simple, play all the parts! You hear cues a lot that composers put together with loops, and attempt to mimic live playing, and in about 3 seconds you can figure out they just pieced some sampled licks together. I think most libraries ( and music sups) can hear the difference. At least I hope!! To me, anyone with a few bucks, can buy the same sample libraries. Nobody has the same instruments that I do, or plays them like I do, for better or worse! So for me the answer is YES, you can get placements without being a sample guru. BTW killer tune Paolo!

#26782 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Loops definitely have a place in-conjunction with live instruments. They are great for adding color. For example you might do a country piece recording live resonator guitar, acoustic guitar, bass and etc. Then pepper it with some pedal steel loops and it really adds something. Many times I’ve had people ask me who’s playing the sax? Or how did you record the fiddle? They are not hearing an attempt to mimic live playing at all, but a natural and real sounding part. I know there are some who can use MIDI effectively, and program realistic string and other parts, but not me. Looking at a softsynth with all the programable knobs and parameters just makes my eyes glaze over.

#26784 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Loops definitely have a place in-conjunction with live instruments. They are great for adding color.

Yep, I agree with Michael and have had the same experience as he.

#26785 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Actually my own stuff, I pretty much play everything but drums. No loops.My pianos, synths, drums are all samples or electronic, for the most part everything I else I play. Well, and horns. Own a mandolin, acoustic, electric guitar, a bass, a uke. I own 8dio dobro I’ve used a few times.

Not opposed to using samples. They are usually (almost always) mixed with real instruments though, with the exception of some solo piano pieces I’ve done. And usually sampled instruments are thrown into to add color and not added in a way that draw undue attention to themselves. I try to use real ( which for me means tambourine and shaker) percussion when I am using drum loops where it fits. I do co-writes with another composer who uses more electronic instruments and I like adding guitar etc. to those. Best of both worlds. But my personal best seelers/ most placed list generally revolve around guitar work as a central instrument. Beucase I am also playing in a band, I also focus on guitar so my chops don’t fall off and I find myself these days going “old school” and tranbscribing or learning solos note for note. On a Larry Carlton kick now and learning the Kid Charlemagne solo and am going back to looking at some of the mre advanced old TrueFire Mimi Fox vids. I know, thanks Chuck for oversharing,.

#26787 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

Ironically, I have been playing drums the longest but it is probably the most sampled instrument we use. (Drum machines, loops, EZ Drummer, etc)

There’s nothing like the sound of a good REAL drum track. The only problem is the pain in the butt to set up micing etc. My kit is all miced up with a snake going to my board then there are EQ issues that I have to deal with in any song with real drums.

#26788 Reply
    56 Strat

To add to my previous post, my drums are programmed.I agree with Daniel that nothing beats real drums but I think I’m doing ok achieving a reasonable realistic acoustic drum sound.

#26789 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

As a “Real” drummer, I can tell you that the new stuff like EZ Drummer and similar vst’s, are really amazing sounding.

It’s no wonder why a lot of drummers are out of work πŸ™‚

Thank goodness I play keys and bass to…

#26797 Reply
    Paolo

@Overdub – hey thanks Overdub!

To me, anyone with a few bucks, can buy the same sample libraries. Nobody has the same instruments that I do, or plays them like I do, for better or worse!

Totally agree! Something very determitive about the cue living or dying from how well we play our instruments πŸ™‚

#26807 Reply
    Per Boysen
    Participant

musicians that don’t use PRIMARILY orchestral instruments or samples instruments in thier composing and are still licensing stuff like crazy.

Not that I’m licensing “like crazy” πŸ™‚ but I have noticed that some tracks I simply played right off the bat on a Chapman Stick sell more licenses than my orchestral stuff (realized with LASS and some Spitfireaudio brass and wind libraries).

#26811 Reply
    Jay

I write indie rock/folkie stuff (and occasionally weird instrumentals) I have about 150 placements since 2012…I know that’s peanuts for most of you but I record on an 8 track in my bedroom (no pro tools) using only live instruments..I recently gave up on drum programs (EZ Drummer etc.) as I find them somewhat mechanical..I’ve had some success w/tracks with programmed drums though..so I wouldn’t count it out..I actually moved back to my hometown in the NE from a beach town recently for various reasons but high on the list was a drummer friend of mine (from the 90’s) with a recording/practicing area..recording with live drums again is HEAVEN..also to add to the drum thing…I’ve used keyboards w/drum sounds and created my own drum tracks with a lot of success..don’t count that out as an option..IMHO I think some..maybe most Music Supervisors seek out live instruments..I could be wrong though? WTF do I know? πŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Composers /bands who don't use samples or orchestral instruments….
Your information: