Good Article on Writing for Libraries

Home Forums Share It! Good Article on Writing for Libraries

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

This article from the library’s perspective is an interesting read and informative. https://sonicscoop.com/2017/11/13/dont-try-impress-real-way-get-hired-production-music-library/

Quote of the day:

“Production Music now is not what it was back in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s. Most writers treat it as some sort of backup plan, as if it is a place to unload the tracks you don’t care about or the tracks that were rejected somewhere else. That’s a big mistake. Get over yourself.”

#28867 Reply
    Michael Nickolas
    Participant

Thanks Michael, good read.

#28868 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Thanks for sharing MichaelL!

I enjoyed it thoroughly!!

#28869 Reply
    Music1234
    Participant

I did like the article and I do like the music in the catalog he reps or writes for. While we must try to write a smash hit every time we sit in front of the piano, keyboard, or guitar, the bottom line is that the market always decides. More often than not, I am finding that rather simple, unsophisticated music sells better. The production does have to be stellar, but by no means do you need to sound like John Williams, Thomas Newman, and others like them to be successful. You’d be surprised at how many tunes sell without the melody. Only “the market” decides…not the gatekeepers of PMA libraries.

If you send tracks that sound like everyone else then you will be put in the category of “everyone else.” You’d be surprised how similar all of the playlists we listen to actually are. Ignore the trends and showcase your abilities. We all have Action Strings fellas. Stop sending Action Strings. Just bleepin’ stop it and stay stop it.

This kind of quote is coming from someone who is listening to way too much production music! He’s bored… So let the general market decide. I take issue with gate keeping libraries from “experts”. How many times have we all heard “not quite a good fit for us” or “not exactly what we’re looking for.” And then the track or tracks go on and sell like crazy.

Just my 2 cents on this article.

#28870 Reply
    Paolo

Thanks for sharing this Michael. That guy sounds like he’s heard more than his share of stuff that’s not up to par.

#28871 Reply
    ComposerLDG
    Participant

Great read. Lots of good takeaways from it. I think the best advice is to submit what you believe in and do best, and that which is uniquely you. I can see how supervisors and libraries quickly get tired of hearing thousands of variations of the same thing.

Thanks for posting this, Michael!

#28874 Reply
    LAwriter
    Participant

Writer dude needs a vacation. About a 5 year one I think.

More than just a touch of hyperbole in that article. 🙂

Still, I think a good read for those starting out or “considering” library music.

#28878 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Writer dude needs a vacation. About a 5 year one I think.

More than just a touch of hyperbole in that article.

Amen to that!

#28879 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

More than just a touch of hyperbole in that article.

You’ve got to dig past the hyperbole and look for the nuggets of truth.

#28880 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

Yeah he’s burned out and needs a vacation, and has listened to way too many terrible submissions. Maybe it is an echo of where composers are in their development – I still would give composers then benefit of the doubt, in that I don’t think they think at the time when they are submitting that their music is terrible. Maybe they haven’t done it long enough to be their own filter. Maybe submitting crappy tracks and getting your butt kicked by the rejection fairy is part of the learning curve. Maybe asking for gold with everything you listen to is a bit much when you ask us to work but don’t want to pay and only share commissions after the fact. If other professions took in clients who saud, I am only going to pay you (but actually you aren’t paying me anything are you) until they people I work for think you’ve done a good enough job they may have a bit of a quality control issue themselves, you think? I submit there are are quality control issues on both sides of the fence, but that’s just me.

#28881 Reply
    Tbone
    Participant

Maybe asking for gold with everything you listen to is a bit much when you ask us to work but don’t want to pay and only share commissions after the fact.

I’m so glad someone said this.

Yes, I feel the writer’s views are a bit.. I’m not sure, contemptuous? Probably a result of being worn out by years of listening to submissions, as others say.

#28883 Reply
    kandr21400
    Participant

AWESOME ARTICLE!!!!

#28884 Reply
    Vlad
    Participant

That’s a solid article. Thanks for sharing.

I think each one of us could probably pen an article from a writer’s perspective towards libraries. I have a list of libraries that are/were uniquely themselves and are/were uniquely disappointing, despite massive effort on my part. I also have a list of libraries that are a blessing to be a part of and brought equal effort + connections to the table. The second list happens to be a lot shorter, sadly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Good Article on Writing for Libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us