Maximising Royalty Income – Create a List?

Home Forums General Questions Maximising Royalty Income – Create a List?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Monkeyman99
    Participant

As a composer with library works with various publishers going back 15 years, and a member of PRS and NRG I am curious what would be the best platforms and methods for being proactive in maximising royalty income?

I read here a fair bit about Tunesat, but thought it would be great to have a list to cover all the options – especially for newbs, or even those like me looking to explore further.

#42817 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Finding a detection service that your PRO would approve of is the most challenging aspect. Based on my experience with BMI, they usually do not accept such services. This leads to extensive efforts in tracking down different entities like libraries, cue sheets, and music supervisors, and reconciling the disparities. Accuracy becomes a major issue due to the numerous inconsistencies in detections with TV shows.

Over the years, this endeavor has largely been unproductive, except for one notable exception: commercials. Since commercials tend to run continuously, it becomes possible to gather sufficient data to get the attention of the PRO.

Check out this article: https://musiclibraryreport.com/composer-tips/using-tunesat-and-numerator-to-collect-us-ad-royalties/

#42826 Reply
    MaxPower
    Participant

In the UK the PRS approved detection service is Soundmouse so you should definitely sign up with them

#42827 Reply
    Monkeyman99
    Participant

Thanks Guys, I will check out that info.

#42828 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Thanks MaxPower. I forgot about Soundmouse.

#42859 Reply
    DavidM
    Participant

Here’s a question. Some of my libraries will already by with Soundmouse, whereas some won’t be. Is there any harm in me uploading all my cues to Soundmouse anyway? I’m thinking in terms of the potential danger for duplicates, etc.

#42860 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@DavidM If they are exclusive to other libraries, I would think it might be a problem unless you are designating, to Soundmouse, that the exclusive library is the publisher.

#43062 Reply
    Rhythmscott
    Participant

Soundmouse allows you to register your songs with the writer & publisher info, so as long as you’re giving your publisher’s proper credit with IPI number, there shouldn’t be a problem if both you & your library are registering your songs with Soundmouse. Soundmouse is suppose to automatically detect usage, generate cue sheets, and send them to PRO’s, so I’d rather have my music registered with them than not. In the US, ASCAP also uses Soundmouse as the only source for paying royalties for some usages. Not sure about BMI & SEASAC.

#43065 Reply
    mamster
    Participant

I’m biased because I work there, but BMAt had the most robust ACCESSIBLE performance detection platform for broadcast TV and radio in the market. bmat.com And feel free to email me at nwilson@bmat.com if you’d like to check the platform out.

#43192 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

@mamster
    I went to the BMAt website and found it to be one of the most confusing, unclear sites I have ever visited. I still have no idea what the company can do for me as far as detections and there does not appear to be any pricing info. Not being mean honestly, but this is a textbook example of how not to design a website.

#43204 Reply
    Nan Wilson

I am TRULY sorry you had that experience. We’ve just started working on a revamp and have long way to go. I’d be happy to have a conversation with you if you’d like. Hit me up at nwilson@bmat.com. And thanks for the really useful feedback.

#43205 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@Advice be sure to contact Nan. I’ve known her for years and can highly recommend.

#43486 Reply
    Monkeyman99
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Maximising Royalty Income – Create a List?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us