Moving to ASCAP, BMI in 2019

Home Forums PROs Moving to ASCAP, BMI in 2019

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Wall_E , the license between the U.S. PROs, ASCAP and BMI, and their composers is non-exclusive, which allows composers to direct license. Many societies in other nations require an exclusive license from their composers, which can limit composers’ freedom and autonomy.

#32737 Reply
    jdt9517
    Participant

Throughout my career I have been with BMI. Don’t know if it’s better or worse than the other PRO’s, but I do get a check every quarter.

BMI and ASCAP are the most accepted PRO’s in the US. I would affiliate with one of them if you are planning to do work in the US.

#32806 Reply
    soundroad
    Participant

I am thinking about moving from PRS to BMI.
    It seems that PRS has become worse in recent years.
    My music usage claims are hanging months without any action from their side. Support does not answer until I send 2-3 letters.
    And suddenly the money stopped coming to my bank.
    I’m trying to solve this problem with support since April … so far without success.

#33291 Reply
    maxquaini
    Participant

I was opening a new thread about it, but since there’s an existing one I guess I can ask it here.
    Did you finally moved from SIAE to BMI or ASCAP?
    I’m planning to move from SIAE to BMI, I was wondering if someone here experienced the process, how it was and what exactly happened to the existing catalog in SIAE, if it’s done by PRO or you will have to register songs again with BMI.
    Thank you in advance!

#33544 Reply
    Chango

Does anyone have any experience with SESAC? I may have a referral to become a member soon. Handed in my ASCAP resignation papers just recently after a 17 year run. Wanted to know how SESAC measures up to BMI. Thanks!

#33545 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience with SESAC? I may have a referral to become a member soon. Handed in my ASCAP resignation papers just recently after a 17 year run. Wanted to know how SESAC measures up to BMI. Thanks!

Being VERY Clear & Honest
    1) Are You are Composer/Writer/Artist, or just primarily a Composer?
    2) Will You being doing music that will be getting “Radio Airplay, and Branding/Commercials; or primarily TV Cues?

These 2 things would be the major factors.

#33550 Reply
    Chango

Hey BEATSLINGER,

Thanks for responding. I am a Composer creating music primarily for television.

#33551 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

“Just My Opinion”

Primarily a “Composer” I would go to BMI

If You were a Songwriter & Artist, and a lot of your music is being sold or radio play. I would go with SESAC

#33552 Reply
    Chango

Thanks BEATSLINGER, I appreciate that!

#33553 Reply
    Chango

HEY BEATSLINGER, Would I need a referral/invite to SESAC if I just wanted to open up a Publishing account?

#33554 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

HEY BEATSLINGER, Would I need a referral/invite to SESAC if I just wanted to open up a Publishing account?

That’s a good question.

I would just reach out to them, and ask.

My question to you though:
    Why would You ONLY have a Publishing Account? Are you a Library, represent a Catalog, or are a Music/Entertainment Company that does “Administration” or registering for Composers and/or Artist’?

#33555 Reply
    Chango

Hey BEATSLINGER,

Hey I’m a composer for a few Libraries but I also have direct contracts with some TV Production Companies. I have a diverse catalog of music from other talented writers that I send to Music Supes, per their request, and we split shares.

#33556 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Hey I’m a composer for a few Libraries but I also have direct contracts with some TV Production Companies. I have a diverse catalog of music from other talented writers that I send to Music Supes, per their request, and we split shares.

Well, “technically” You can have more than 1 Publisher, but if I’m not mistaken that “usually” is only set up to administer, and/or work on the behalf of people that “already have their affiliation with SESAC”.

I would just give them a call, and explain “thoroughly” what your intentions, and plans are.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Moving to ASCAP, BMI in 2019
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us