Retitling my cues

Home Forums General Questions Retitling my cues

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johnfrancis
    Participant

I have 60+ songs in one non-exclusive library. I’m doing pretty well actually, maybe I get 400-600 EUR a month from this one library. But I want to expand my work to other non-exclusive libraries. Can I get anybody’s advice about retitling my work and submitting it to other libraries? Are there any things I need to think about beforehand? We are talking about royalty free cues that I own in this context.

#5864 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

johnfrancis:
    Can I get anybody’s advice about retitling my work and submitting it to other libraries? Are there any things I need to think about beforehand? We are talking about royalty free cues that I own in this context.

Please got the Newbies section and read the various links on re-titling. https://musiclibraryreport.com/blog/newbie-info/#more-4537

#5870 Reply
    johnfrancis
    Participant

Hi Art, I’m 5 pages into the thread called Retitling and it seems to be about retitling work that is in exclusive libraries. And then there’s the non-exclusive libraries’ own retitling of work that they can obtain publishing rights for.

Can I simply ask:
    Even if the library I use retitles my work elsewhere, is there anything legally wrong with me retitling my own work for other non-exclusive libraries?

Or is there something else I’m missing?

#5871 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Can I simply ask:
    Even if the library I use retitles my work elsewhere, is there anything legally wrong with me retitling my own work for other non-exclusive libraries?

Hi John,

I’m not sure where you’re located, but you mention Euros, os I guess you’re not in the US. In the US a writer can copyright his/her works with alternative titles. So, the short answer is that in the
    US there’s nothing illegal about you re-titling your works.

The long answer is complicated and the debate rages over whether the practice will continue, and for how long.

Under any scenario, you would not be able to offer the track to anyone exclusively, merely because you changed the title. The underlying work would remain the same, and in the event of of watermarking /fingerprinting you could get into contractual trouble.

Cheers,

Michael

#5872 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

johnfrancis:
    Hi Art, I’m 5 pages into the thread called Retitling and it seems to be about retitling work that is in exclusive libraries. And then there’s the non-exclusive libraries’ own retitling of work that they can obtain publishing rights for.

Can I simply ask:

Or is there something else I’m missing?

You need to keep reading to grasp all of the implications. I for one have no problem with re-titling my music for different libraries and/or situations but many others would vigorously differ with me.

#5873 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Just to clarify John. I have no problem with retitling your music for different libraries. It might be a good idea.

I just wouldn’t represent that you are giving it to any library exclusively, that would be misleading, which is not good if there’s ever a contract dispute. It invalidates your half of the bargain, and potentially relieves the other party of their obligation to perform.

#5900 Reply
    johnfrancis
    Participant

thanks for the answers guys!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Retitling my cues
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us