Home Forums Composer Interviews Scott Ross – Composer Interview

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

1.) Your name?

Scott Ross

2.) Any credits you care to mention?

I’ve had my songs placed in a lot of cable shows, some big ones some I’ve never heard of. When the BMI statement comes I go “hmm, never heard of that show before!” But some would be, American Pickers, The Walking Dead, OWN network, Extreme Sport Network etc.

3.) How long have you been writing music?

On and off for many years, but full speed ahead for almost 4 years now.

4.) How did you get started?

I’m an engineer/producer and owner of a large recording studio in Seattle, and figured I have all the equipment I need, might as well start recording my own stuff!

5.) How long have you been writing library/production music?

Almost 4 years.

6.) Are you making a living wage writing library/production music?

No

7.) Do you care to give any general figures of earnings (low/mid/high 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 figures)?

I’ll make in the low 4’s this year. Glad I make a living in another part of the music business!

8.) Are you self-taught or have you studied formally?

Completely self taught.

9.) Do you work through music libraries?

Yes.

9a.) If so are they exclusive and/or non-exclusive libraries?

All non exclusives, but I have over 200 songs now, so will start looking at the exclusives.

10.) Do you contact music supervisors, music editors or TV production companies directly?

No.

10a.) If so how do you approach them?

11.) How do you deal with rejection?

It doesn’t really bother me. I just keep writing and trying to sell the songs, and do the best I can!

12.) How do you feel about re-titling?

It doesn’t bother me right now!

13.) What do you have the most success with, royalty free sites or back end PRO royalties?

It’s about 1/2 and 1/2.

14.) Any tips about writing descriptions, keywords and/or metadata?

It’s a pain to try to describe your own music, but I guess it’s gotten easier the more I do it.

15.) Any trends you would like to comment on (YouTube Content ID, Internet Royalties)?

Not really.

16.) What sort of advice would you give to someone just entering the library/production music world?

I guess like everyone says, keep writing. What I’ve tried to do lately is make my music simpler, and not try to over produce it too much. One of my songs when I first started had over 160 tracks! I’m a big Alan Parsons fan, but I need to make things simpler, and I’m doing better at it! I’m a horn player (sax and trumpet) so it’s hard not to have 16 tracks just with those!

And finally!

17.) If you were not writing music what would you be doing?

I own a commercial recording studio, and have been in the music business for 28 years, so there is nothing else I would be doing. Music is my livelihood and my hobby!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Composer Interviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us