Sharing new work – best practices

Home Forums Newbie Questions Sharing new work – best practices

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    DVMusic
    Participant

I’d like to know what people are using these days for sharing new work with libraries/supervisors. Around 10 years ago I was largely using Soundcloud, then directly sharing and uploading MP3s/WAVs with a couple of libraries I began to work with.

I’m aware Disco is more commonplace now (www.disco.ac) and seems straightforward. Just wondered if there are other great ways of sharing new tracks when approaching new libraries/supervisors/publishers that work well?

Many thanks!

#41701 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I can’t see how it matters, as long as you can share functioning links.

#41704 Reply
    DVMusic
    Participant

Thanks, Art!

#41742 Reply
    composer
    Participant

Reelcrafter is great for this.

#41777 Reply
    DVMusic
    Participant

Nice! I wasn’t aware of Reelcrafter.

#41781 Reply
    michal
    Participant

I second Reelcrafter. Been with them for over five years, and it works great.

#43889 Reply
    sebgar
    Participant

Hi everyone, I am extremely new to this – as you will probably realize by my question below – but following up on best practices for sharing work, I’m currently working on building my catalog, and I keep all my finished work in soundcloud. I see other users liking, commenting, and reposting some of my tracks and I’m wondering whether this could be an issue the day I try to pitch some of these tracks to a library. Any advise? Thanks in advance!

#43891 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@sebgar. What do you mean by “reposting” some of my tracks?

#43892 Reply
    sebgar
    Participant

Soundcloud has this ‘social media’ aspect to it, so you can repost someone else’s songs and that would show up in your feed, it’s just a way to share songs you like.

#43895 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

@sebgar. If you are going to be pitching to exclusive libraries I would not allow reposting. If non-exclusive libraries, I don’t see a problem. But I’m not a lawyer and I don’t play one on TV. 🙂

#43897 Reply
    sebgar
    Participant

I think I get the idea here. It’s ok to have your songs in a public site where everyone can play them, but don’t allow sharing, reposting, downloading, etc. Thanks for the advice Art! 🙂

#43898 Reply
    White_Stripes
    Participant

if youre pitching for exclusive libraries your music shouldnt be public at all.
    on soundcloud you can create private playlists, so only the recipient is able to listen to the playlist.
    Im sure the other services offer a similiar feature.

#43902 Reply
    casnc1
    Participant

I used Soundcloud for a number of years but now use my own website. I build a private URL with a playlist. I can still track if it’s been played, and one of the main reasons for doing this over SoundCloud is the ads on SoundCloud could potentially kill a listen if the end listener has to sit through ads first. I saw this point somewhere in a video from a music supervisor (I believe) and since then I’ve used my website unless the relationship is already established. That said, I’ve heard great things about Reelcrafter and Disco, too. Disco could potentially be a great option if you might want to eventually build your own library.

#44014 Reply
    StevieBlunder
    Participant

I’m in the same boat right now. I want to send links to my individual songs to people who need to hear. I had a Godaddy website that would only allow linking to a page and I’d have to tell the target recipient to find the song. I wanted better and dont want to use Soundcloud as its been a source of piracy. I asked around including here and was told that a Wix site could do this. I just went live with my site and now I find out that Wix cant do this at all.

https://support.wix.com/en/article/wix-audio-request-creating-a-direct-download-link-for-your-music

Im sitting here stunned , since I wasted time and money and still cant get the most basic functionality. I’m sure that ,like most folks here, customer service isnt always that important since most things are fairly apparent , but Wix is lacking almost all human contact. I should have stayed with Godaddy and it looks like Soundcloud is in my future

#44079 Reply
    Mc_GTR
    Participant

Streaming services are great to showcase your music, Spotify, Apple Music.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Sharing new work – best practices
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us