Software – Time to take a stand?

Home Forums Software Software – Time to take a stand?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JD
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, but Black Friday made me think about it more. I think I’m done purchasing plugs that you can’t re-sell (transfer license). The “upgrades” and “new versions” are getting a little out of control for me. I feel my hard earned money is going to a lease, not like a piece of hardware that is more likely to hold some value.

I do believe that eventually there will be a market for “vintage” plugins and instruments, but you will have to have an equally “vintage” computer to run them. Or simply, everything will become a subscription based model, and you have no other choices but to keep up or die.

What do you all think?

#33713 Reply
    Kery Michael
    Participant

Makes sense to me. If I can’t sell something than do I truly own it? Maybe that’s evidence that you don’t own any of your software. but the companies are just allowing us limited access to “their” software.

#33715 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

I don’t know what company you are referring to. Sounds like Waves.

I’ve have other plugins that have been in use for years with no problems.

#33716 Reply
    JD
    Participant

I’m not picking out a specific company, but I did just purchase Spitfire BBC Orchestra. I have several other libraries from Spitfire and love them, but just read on another site that the licenses/software cannot be sold or transferred. Not sure that would have changed my mind on the purchase, but it will definitely affect my future purchases with such companies.

#33717 Reply
    NY Composer
    Participant

I really don’t think this is anything new.

There are plenty of virtual instruments that are non-transferable.

BTW, the terms and agreement should appear before you download.

#33726 Reply
    Mc_GTR
    Participant

In Europe, it’s is illegal not to be able to resell a library. The developers adhere to local laws, where ever they live, but seems there is a potential frontier there..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Software – Time to take a stand?
Your information: