Home Forums Stuart Moore Interview

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

1.) Your name?

Stuart Moore

2.) Any credits you care to mention?

Over 60 different cable shows and recently a few network shows including a primetime ABC show called The Middle.

3.) How long have you been writing music?

About 10 years.

4.) How did you get started?

When I got a computer and DAW and just started recording different ideas.

5.) How long have you been writing library/production music?

5 years

6.) Are you making a living wage?

Yes, only because I’m married.

7.) Do you care to give any general figures of earnings (low/mid/high 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 figures)?

5 figures

8.) Are you self-taught or have you studied formally?

I was self taught and eventually went on to do a music degree where I had piano lessons for the first time.

9.) Do you work through music libraries?

Yes

9a.) If so are they exclusive and/or non-exclusive libraries?

Mainly non exclusive. I tried an exclusive once but they got the same type of placements as the non exclusives I’m with, ie cable shows, no upfront money and a few dollars from ASCAP.

10.) Do you contact music supervisors, music editors or TV production companies directly?

Haven’t been brave enough to take that step yet no.

10a.) If so how do you approach them?

11.) How do you deal with rejection?

Cry myself to sleep. Haha, no it really doesn’t bother me as I know different libraries have different needs. Its a shame most libraries don’t really tell you the reason for the rejection but its best just to move on, keep writing, keep submitting etc etc.

12.) How do you feel about re-titling?

I work with one library that does this. I think thats my limit. It would be confusing to have the same song with multiple different names in different libraries.

11.) What do you have the most success with, royalty free sites or back end PRO royalties?

Royalty free sites although my ASCAP earnings are steadily increasing.

12.) Any tips about writing descriptions, keywords and/or metadata?

Write something relevant and engaging. Also I think the title of the song is just as important because thats the first thing that will draw someone to listen to your song.
    Try and think of what words people would use when trying to search. Most customers I have dealt with don’t have much musical knowledge so avoid complex musical terms and keep it simple.

13.) Any trends you would like to comment on (YouTube Content ID, Internet Royalties)?

The YouTube thing has caused me some problems in the past so avoid it like the plague unless its an exclusive deal.

14.) What sort of advice would you give to someone just entering the library/production music world?

Write LOTS of (great) music and listen to other tracks that sell well to get an idea of what direction to head in. Stick with styles that you’re actually good at writing in and if you’re going to branch out, study the music first so you make it sound authentic.
    Remember you’re not writing music for people to listen to but music thats going underneath dialogue or complementing visuals. My seven minute jazz songs with crazy trumpet solos don’t usually sell.

And finally!

15.) If you were not writing music what would you be doing?

I’d still be gigging. Not sure what else. Music is the only thing I’m good at 🙂

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Stuart Moore Interview
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us