Tax return for non resident aliens

Home Forums PROs Tax return for non resident aliens

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rishhad Kothawala

Hi,

I’m registered with BMI and a residing citizen of India.
    A few months ago, I submitted form W-8BEN and W-7 for tax purposes to BMI.
    It took months but finally got processed.
    My latest quarterly statement reflects a change from the usual 30% tax deduction to now 15% only.
    However, I’m a little surprised that I’m not due the tax amounts deducted in my previous six quarterly statements.
    Apparently any deduction prior to my form submission cannot be adjusted for any tax returns.
    I’m just wondering if this is normal protocol or if there’s anything I can do to apply for tax returns.
    Really appreciate your time and input,
    Thanks!
    Rishhad Kothawala

#44811 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Hi Rishhad

Hello from a fellow Indian! Something similar happened to me. For previous financial years you’ll have to fill out some paperwork. Here is the reply from BMI.
    ————————————————————————————————————-
    My sincere apologies for the delay. We investigated your inquiry. We’re not quite sure what happened with the tax information you provided but for some reason, the adjustment wasn’t completed to your tax status. My apologies for this.

You are correct; the Q1 2022, Q2 2022, Q3 2022, and Q4 2022 distributions were incorrectly taxed 30% instead of 15%.

We’ve already processed the 2023 tax reimbursement and a check has been mailed to you. For the previous 2022 tax deductions, to recover the amount over-withheld please file Form 1040-X or amended Form 1120-F, per the IRS website:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040-nr

#45032 Reply
    Rishhad Kothawala

Thanks so much my friend,
    This is incredibly helpful!
    Thanks for taking the time and breaking it down for me ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Tax return for non resident aliens
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us