Tunesat VS Cuesheet Accuracy

Home Forums General Questions Tunesat VS Cuesheet Accuracy

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    NY Composer
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I am just wondering how accurate your Tunesat detections are compared to your actual PRO statement. OTOH I do know that sometimes Tunesat picks up tracks that our PRO’s don’t.

What percentage of your placements would you say Tunesat detected? 75 percent? 90 percent? Much less?

#26885 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’d say 80% picked up by Tunesat. On the other hand I think, financially, it’s a wash.

#26888 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

On the other hand I think, financially, it’s a wash.

What you you mean by that Art? I am just about to take the plunge and upgrade my free membership.

#26890 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I mean, what Tunesat catches and misses is made up by what BMI catches.

#27009 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

Another example of Tunesat’s inaccuracy. I had a cue used in a new prime time episode of Cole Case Files on March 13. Tunesat didn’t detect it until a rerun one week later.

#27055 Reply
    BrianDWatson
    Participant

One thing I’ve learned recently from a publisher is that some shows pay based on a sample survey. Has anybody heard of this, seems pretty lame to me.

“Finally, there are shows that only report by way of something they call a “survey”. ASCAP doesn’t actually pay for all instances of music being used. Instead, they extrapolate based on some poorly understood “survey” method whereby they take a look (like snapshots?) at what is airing and use some kind of formula to decided what to actually count.”

This kind of thing would explain discrepancies between Tunesat and ASCAP.

#27061 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

One thing I’ve learned recently from a publisher is that some shows pay based on a sample survey. Has anybody heard of this, seems pretty lame to me.

BrianDWatson, the survey thing is going to make you crazy. Here is part of an ASCAP inquiry I submitted a year ago:
    “I have over 75 different music placements, in over 40 different episodes, in 8 TV series on the REELZ channel. I have several hundred Tunesat detections on the REELZ channel. Most of them have cue sheets. Why haven’t I ever received any domestic royalties?…”
    I now have 84 placements on REELZ going back 2 1/2 years. I have not made a penny in Domestic royalties from them. Ironically, I have made a little in international royalties.
    I had a long, informative talk with an ASCAP rep about it. He said that because channels like REELZ have such a low market share, the royalties would be very small even if every airing paid.
    Based on the pitifully low back end I have seen from channels like TruTV I kind of get it now, but it’s still aggravating. For me, REELZ is the same as Scripps networks.

The ASCAP site list a schedule of all Survey dates if you want to reconcile it with your Tunesat detections. It probably wouldn’t be worth the time.

#27062 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

He said that because channels like REELZ have such a low market share, the royalties would be very small even if every airing paid.

BMI does pay on REELZ and here are some examples. The last number is the payout.

As you can see we are talking pennies except for Gansters.

BEVERLY HILLS PAWN BANKSY AND A BOMBSHELL BI 000:30 2 0.2
    BEVERLY HILLS PAWN BEVERLY HILLS SWASHBUCKLER BI 000:19 1 0.02
    BEVERLY HILLS PAWN OF WURLITZERS AND WIZARDS BI 000:31 1 0.09
    BEVERLY HILLS PAWN SHARKS SAPPHIRES AND SEX SYMBOLS BI 000:14 1 0.03
    BEVERLY HILLS PAWN YOSSI S SILVER HAMMER BI 000:33 1 0.12
    BEVERLY HILLS PAWN JASON AND MARILYN AND YOSSIE AND ALICE BI 000:16 3 0.28
    GANGSTERS AMERICA S MOST EVIL PATRIARCH OF THE SIXTH FAMILY ALEX RUDAJ BI 000:43 4 3.23
    HOLLYWOOD HILLBILLIES ARTSY FARTSY BI 000:05 1 0.01
    HOLLYWOOD HILLBILLIES DATE NIGHT DISASTER BI 000:08 1 0.03
    HOLLYWOOD HILLBILLIES HEADED FOR HOLLYWOOD BI 000:16 1 0.04
    HOLLYWOOD HILLBILLIES HILLBILLIES GET HITCHED BI 000:14 1 0.06
    HOLLYWOOD HILLBILLIES HOLLYWOOD NIGHTS BI 000:21 1 0.08
    HOLLYWOOD HILLBILLIES OPENING ACT BI 000:10 1 0.01
    HOLLYWOOD HILLBILLIES SIN CITY SURPRISE BI 000:41 1 0.11
    HOLLYWOOD HILLBILLIES WHALE WATCHING BI 000:20 1 0.06
    HOLLYWOOD SCANDALS CHRIS FARLEY BI 000:35 4 1.01
    MASTER P S FAMILY EMPIRE STAY TRUE TO YOUR VALUES BI 000:21 1 0.07

#27065 Reply
    daveydad
    Participant

REELZ is a joke. I had many payments, too, and doubt they’ve added up to more than $5.

#27066 Reply
    Mike Marino
    Participant

Tunesat probably catches anywhere from 10%-20% of my placements.

#27070 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

Thanks for posting the REELZ numbers Art, That is kind of what I expected. I have placements in almost every one of those episodes too, ha. ASCAP is definitely hurting me with “Gangsters: America’s Most Evil” though. I have a dozen placements in that series. Most are over :30, a few are over :50 and one is 1:35. Plus they air a lot. Sigh…
    Off topic sidebar
    Art, have you noticed the publisher splits on those placements? The poor guys who I submitted all those tracks to only get 5%, OF REELZ!
    I suspect that is why they are no longer interested in accepting any new music. I feel sorry for them because I recall them working pretty hard at the start.

#27074 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Art, have you noticed the publisher splits on those placements? The poor guys who I submitted all those tracks to only get 5%, OF REELZ!

I can’t see cue sheets at BMI but that’s too bad. Chris was music supervising over there. Don’t know if he still is. It seems more and more of the networks (or the shows) want the publishing income.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Tunesat VS Cuesheet Accuracy
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us