Types/Styles Of Tracks in RF vs. Conventiional Libraries

Home Forums General Questions Types/Styles Of Tracks in RF vs. Conventiional Libraries

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

If it isn’t happy smiley music then the chance of making good coin in RF is slim compared to more diverse tracks that make good coin in PRO libs.

I’m always reluctant to make broad generalizations. Over the years, I have written plenty of sad music, even for corporations. I scored several films about arthritis, which were full of sad music. Maybe there are different kinds of sad, like tear-jerker sad and dramatic sad. There’s a difference between a lost puppy, broken romance, and a tsunami. One place were sad-dramatic music is used all the time is on the news.

Maybe the lesson is that if you’re not going to put thousands of tracks into the RF market, happy is the way to go. But, I think that sad/ dramatic should be part of a well-rounded catalog.

But, for the record, the three dramatic/sad pieces that have had placements every quarter for the last 15 years are in exclsuive library.

_Michael

#12721 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Hey Michael
    Yes, sweeping generalizations can be problematic at times but there is nothing wrong with stating what gives you the highest probability of success, even though there always are exceptions.

🙂

#12728 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Yes, sweeping generalizations can be problematic at times but there is nothing wrong with stating what gives you the highest probability of success, even though there always are exceptions.

In that case, write in D, which would be “yellow” on the Scriaban color scale. Psychologists say it’s a happy color. 🙂

#12734 Reply
    More Advice

Out of all my sales this year, I’d say only 3 to 4% were written in a minor key. So from my perspective, it seems demand for “sad” cues or “tension” cues is low in the RF market. It would be interesting if others could chime in to share what is actually selling the best and what styles are not selling at all. Is anyone selling sad or light tension cues regularly on RF?

Anyone selling Jazz? Classical? Hip Hop? Dance? Epic Adventure Orchestral (Trailer style)? Blues? Solo Piano? Solo Guitar?

When I look at what I sell rock and happy pop do the best, but a few other “specialty” styles have sold such as a pop 50’s cut, mariachi, “Spy” music, Whimsical, a Barry White sound-a-like.

#12735 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

As the great Gretzky said, “I skate where the puck is going, not where it’s been.”

I’m building a catalog for the future, mostly of cues that will not have a “best when used by date on them.”

My strategy is based upon having a large number of consistent cues rather than a small number of “hot” cues. Hot today is gone tomorrow.

It might work it might not, but I’m combining that with lifestyle changes that will make it easier. Less bling = more freedom.

OK,that probably didn’t answer your question. You can search any library to see what currently is selling the best. That will give you a broader sampling than just writers who might respond to your question here. You can also just look at job postings on TX and FMN to see what is currently being requested.

BTW, if you check out the NFL library on APM, a high percentage of those dramatic sports cues, even the hip hop /rock /dub influenced ones, are in minor keys.

Personally, this will be redundant, I think it’s best, for the long game, to have a large deep catalog.

_Michael

#12739 Reply
    More Advice

Michael L, good music stands the test of time…even in the “happy, posititive, inspirational pop” and “cool, energetic rock” genres.

I’d be interested in you posting a link to something that feels “hot today, but gone tomorrow” or something with “too much bling”.

Finally, I still hope others chime in to report on whether or not they sell in any of the styles I mentioned above:
    Jazz? Classical? Hip Hop? Dance? Epic Adventure Orchestral (Trailer style)? Blues? Solo Piano? Solo Guitar? and let’s add Latin? Funk?

#12740 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

My plan to start a whole catalog collection of guitar music that starts on a Dm chord (the saddest chord in the world) is out the window. 😉

#12741 Reply
    mscottweber
    Participant

My best selling tracks are definitely happy rock/pop. I know that someday the demand for U2/Coldplay-inspired tracks is going to drop, but its been a decade since that Coldplay sound hit big and more than 20 years since The Edge started doing that jangly thing on his guitar, and if that sound is still selling as well today is it really going to suddenly drop off in another 5 years?

That being said, my second best selling style is acoustic guitar solos/duos.

#12742 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Jazz? Classical? Hip Hop? Dance? Epic Adventure Orchestral (Trailer style)? Blues? Solo Piano? Solo Guitar? and let’s add Latin? Funk?

I’ve mentioned this before but one of my best selling cues is called “Happy Hip Hop”. A darker sounding cue but very bouncy old style hip hop. Sold that thing over 80 times in the last couple of years on RF sites and it has made it into a number of TV shows. Also a number of funk, Latin, ragtime, Italian, Children, Bollywood, Rock and the ubiquitous Coldplay/U2. Write it and they will (most likely) come.

#12744 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’d be interested in you posting a link to something that feels “hot today, but gone tomorrow” or something with “too much bling”.

Ok, I promised to be nice. I don’t really need to post a link to anything dubstep. You know what it is. It’s not going to be hot RF music 10 years from now. It’s barely luke warm now. Same for hip hop.

The “bling” I referred to is my own lifestyle NOT any kind of music. I don’t know why you thought I was talking about a type of music. I don’t want to get agita, and be all anxious about this business. I want to have fun writing and producing music.

Part of my strategy is to eliminate everything that raises the threshold of what it takes for me to earn a living writing cues, especially if those things don’t mean anything to me. Governments call it austerity. Corporations call it eliminating waste.

@mscottweber
    . My theory on U2 and Coldplay is that it’s very safe, non-offensive music, that was originally popular, when today’s corporate decision makers were in their teens and twenties. That was their favorite music. I think they key is safe and non-offensive music that appeals to a very wide demographic. Even at my “advanced” age, I like Philip Phillips.

_Michael

#12746 Reply
    Rob (Cruciform)

Dubstep won’t be popular forever?!?!?!?! Say it ain’t so!

Hmm, lucky I got that call to do some French shoegaze stuff.

#12747 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Dubstep won’t be popular forever?!?!?!?! Say it ain’t so!

Hmm, lucky I got that call to do some French shoegaze stuff.

Sorry, Rob. It all follows a bell curve. I’m pretty sure that somewhere around 1942 Benny Goodman said “Big Band won’t be popular forever?!?!?!?! Say it ain’t so!”

And we’re talking about RF. Correct me, if I’m wrong, but I think you found RF isn’t your market place.

As far as hip hop (not hip hop lite) goes, just look at AS stats. It’s something like 2% of their sales.

That was my “advice” for More Advice. You can go into the knowledge base for the libraries and look at the stats, which will tell him more than what a few posts here will. There may be someone out there who’s selling a ton of Tuvan Throat singing.

Got more important things to do now, like download BFD3!!!! 😀

#12748 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

My theory on U2 and Coldplay is that it’s very safe, non-offensive music, that was originally popular, when today’s corporate decision makers were in their teens and twenties. That was their favorite music. I think they key is safe and non-offensive music that appeals to a very wide demographic.

Spot on, The Edge has been doing that dotted 8th thing for 35 years now! It has crossed a whole generation, what he did for the guitar Coldplay did for the piano arpeggio LOL. It is very safe music for a type of client who thinks its pretty radical, cutting edge and current. Even if your clients “hate” rock music U2 and Coldplay would be an exception in their minds.

he even admits it himself.

#12755 Reply
    mscottweber
    Participant

I think they key is safe and non-offensive music

Bingo! You probably won’t get famous writing safe music, but you’ll probably make some money.

#12758 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I think they key is safe and non-offensive music

Sorry for the typo. That should be “the key.”

Bingo! You probably won’t get famous writing safe music, but you’ll probably make some money.

Nobody writes production music to get famous. If they are, they are sadly misguided. It is an anonymous profession.

If, however, you are a wannabe pop star singer-song writer, trying to license your songs, then a guess fame is on your agenda.

I like anonimity (until recently). 😀
    _MichaelL

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
Reply To: Types/Styles Of Tracks in RF vs. Conventiional Libraries
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us