Unauthorized Use of Track in TV Show

Home Forums Copyright Questions Unauthorized Use of Track in TV Show

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    SomeOne

All I can say on this post is: Let It Go!
    It just a cue, its not a number one billboard hit.

You know how many cues are getting used in TV a year? more then 6 millions. Come on, I don’t think someone tries to screw you for 10$.

#7038 Reply
    Redster
    Participant

To those who say “let it slide” I have to respectfully disagree.

A friend who was an account rep at a major library said he was watching a sporting event and heard some of the music from their library, but KNEW that the network had no agreement with them because he’d been the one to pitch their catalogue to them. They’d complained that the library was “too expensive”.

Well, they found out just how expensive it could be.

Seems that an editor picked up one of the library’s CD collections and assumed it was part of the “stable” of CDs he was allowed to use. Uh… NO. And the network had used a lot of the music from this particular collection in their various programming.

So the library contacted the network and agreed not to sue — but there were some provisions: The network (1) filed cue sheets for every show/broadcast in which this library’s music was used, (2) agreed to a 2-year blanket license as a sort of “mea culpa”, with the understanding that cue sheets for every program in which the library’s music was used would be filed [the library paid their composers pro rata license fees based on actual usage, even when under blanket agreements] and (3) gave up their suite for 12 events (8 basketball and 4 hockey). The library invited the composers whose music had been used and other folks/interested parties to join them for some fun.

So whether it’s a-dollar-three-eighty or a hundred, or a thousand — you need to monitor your music, where it is, who is claiming to represent it and how it is used. It is YOUR creation, and you should be treating it with at least the same respect you give to your cell phone. 😉

Cheers!

Gael MacGregor

#17653 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Wow, that is a sweet story. Glad the composers got what they were supposed to get.

#17654 Reply
    Advice

Wow… A discussion with both Synth Player and DI in on it. Talk about a loop!! 😛

#17840 Reply
    Steve

It seems to me that the people responsible for placing tracks should be responsible for using a music database keyed off of something like a track file checksum. The moment a track is accepted into a library, its checksum is stored. The track “Mary Had A Little Lamb” ID is e3a41eabbd6946baf4d835d9ab141688, the track “Foobar – Mary Had A Little Lamb” ID is aa2c4046f34bedfc494802875c6f282b – that kind of thing. This way the moment the metadata is changed, a new checksum results and that value can be tied to a project. If a file isn’t tied to a project, it hasn’t been placed.

These are just back-of-the-napkin thoughts but more than anything I wanted to point out that there are ways to solve this problem.

#17841 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

These are just back-of-the-napkin thoughts but more than anything I wanted to point out that there are ways to solve this problem.

Actually, a system like that already exists. BMI and ASCAP have a unique registration number for each song title. So even if 100 tracks have the same name, they would each have a unique registration number that specifies the songwriters and publishers. Many companies forget that this system exists and then there is confusion.

#17842 Reply
    Steve

@Desire it seems to me the missing link in the BMI/ASCAP system is the actual audio that would be tied to the registration number. Also I think it would be nice if BMI/ASCAP exposed an API so that registration numbers could be obtained programatically. In my opinion, ACE Title Search Web UI is clunky at best and has the look/feel of something that was programmed ten years ago.

#17843 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

@Desire it seems to me the missing link in the BMI/ASCAP system is the actual audio that would be tied to the registration number.

Agreed.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: Unauthorized Use of Track in TV Show
Your information: