Understanding BMI Registration Rejection Terminology

Home Forums PROs Understanding BMI Registration Rejection Terminology

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael Pagan

I’m a BMI writer/publisher. Two of my arrangements (recordings) submitted for registration were recently rejected. Neither are public domain works. Can anyone decipher/interpret /explain these reasons as stated by BMI? (BTW I have a number of successfully registered works.)

1. “BMI does not recognize the registration of arrangements of works still protected by copyright.”

This is clear enough but I did secure permission (have paid receipt from Easy Song Licensing) to record the song. Apparently that doesn’t matter. Is this how it goes – period – or am I missing out on a way to do this?

2.”Submitter must provide writers/publishers of original work based on sample agreement.”

What is BMI’s definition of a “sample agreement”? FAQs on BMI website did not help.

I’ve also watched a number of instructional videos, and they’re helpful, but still not coming up with anything on the above two issues. Thanks, anyone, who can help.

Comment:
    BMI’s online works registration site appears to be old and difficult to navigate. I say this based on someone who joined BMI before there was an internet. The style and functionality of the site seems like architecture from the early 2000s. Definitions of terminology needed. More FAQs/expand the FAQ section, please . . .

#41470 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I believe your answer is here:

1. “BMI does not recognize the registration of arrangements of works still protected by copyright.”

AFAIK you can only register an arrangement of a Public Domain Song (and we have).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Understanding BMI Registration Rejection Terminology
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us