What to Expect from Radio Ad Royalties

Home Forums General Questions What to Expect from Radio Ad Royalties

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BrianMcGravey
    Participant

Hello everyone, I just landed a deal with a very large food delivery company. They want to use my track for 1 full year on terrestrial and internet radio worldwide. My question is, does anybody have experience with radio ad royalties in this capacity, and could you provide some kind of ballpark figures on what you have earned, yearly, monthly or per airing? I have had tons of TV placements, so I generally know the averages, but never had a radio ad.

Not sure if it matters much, but I’m an ASCAP member. But would still love to hear from anybody from any PRO!

I’m guessing the ad will air quite a bit, because it is a 1 year deal and worldwide. Any information will be helpful! And I know there are a million factors that go into it.

#43459 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Congratulations on landing the deal Brian!

Radio ad royalties can vary depending on a number of factors, including the size of the radio station, the type of ad, and the length of the campaign. In general, however, you can expect to earn anywhere from a few cents to a few dollars per airing.

For a full year of terrestrial and internet radio worldwide, you could potentially earn several thousand dollars. However, it’s important to note that this is just a ballpark figure, and the actual amount you earn will depend on a number of factors.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind:

The size of the radio station: The larger the radio station, the more listeners it has, and the more royalties you will earn.

The type of ad: If your ad is played during a prime time slot, you will earn more royalties than if it is played during a less popular time slot.

#43461 Reply
    Kubed
    Participant

Congrats Brian, sounds like a big deal!

Maybe a radio monitoring service (WARM, Medium, ACRCloud etc) will be handy too, just in case your PRO misses some payments? I think some of them have a free plan, although i don’t know how good they are.

Btw, i was wondering if anyone has experience with radio monitoring services? I know about tv monitor (Tunesat, Soundmouse etc) but realized i don’t know much about radio monitoring and if such services are helpful to artists.
    Sorry if i’m hijacking this thread Art, you can delete my post if you think so (maybe there’s already a topic about that subject on MLR?).

#43800 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

A track of mine was used in a national radio ad (I think for Miller Lite) in 2017/18. It ran around 800 times and paid about $300.

#43819 Reply
    soundroad
    Participant

My track was used in a Dodge RAM radio campaign in the USA (2022). I got 470 pounds from PRS for 2 months of airing.

#43826 Reply
    jdt9517
    Participant

Congratulations Brian! Art spelled it out really well. Assuming it is a world-wide product, I anticipate that your deal will be quite lucrative.

Keep in mind that in radio music in advertising is paid at different rates than the artist music performance.

Good wishes to you that the advertising is done in large markets and your cup fills with royalties!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: What to Expect from Radio Ad Royalties
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us