Got an edit question for you guys

Home Forums General Questions Got an edit question for you guys

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Pat
    Participant

Kind of a weird question here guys,
    On,for example,a 60sec edit does the 1 or 2 sec of silence before the intro count toward that?
    Also on the ending, is it after the sound fades to 0 or the last down beat of sound that the clock stops?
    Just wanting to know what’s included (or excluded) in that 60sec. Much appreciate it.
    Pat

#44482 Reply
    rkmusic1
    Participant

Hey Pat, definitely no to the first part of your question, the clock starts at the first point of actual sound. The clock stops at the last point of sound, not the last downbeat. Hope that helps!

#44483 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Hey rkmusic1, Thanks for the super fast reply and yes that absolutely helps.I will keep that in mind for all my future cues. I’ll be able to be more consistent when it comes to doing edits now. Much appreciate it 🙂
    Pat

#44484 Reply
    rkmusic1
    Participant

My pleasure, glad it helped!

#44485 Reply
    rkmusic1
    Participant

I also recommend letting your audio file go a second or two past the 60sec, with a tiny bit of fadeout just crossing the 60sec line to make sure there is a little sound at the very end.

#44486 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

This is part of the instructions for deliverables I got last week from a new (for me) library
    “ Cutdowns:

:60 and :30 cutdowns generally should have a button end at 1-2 seconds before the end or climax at 2-3 seconds for more sustained endings. Our distributors are now requiring that all 30 second cutdowns should be exactly 30 seconds (including the reverb tail).”

#44487 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Again good info to keep in mind. Thanks again rkmusic1

#44488 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Hey Alan, Thanks for that.That’s a good point to remember that not all libraries want the exact same thing. Generally accepted practices is what I was looking for and will work for me unless, as you said,specific requests are made.

#44503 Reply
    RM90
    Participant

I have had a library say they wanted the files to be exactly 60 and 30 seconds. So in that case it did include the empty space.

#44504 Reply
    Pat
    Participant

Thanks RM90. I realize it can vary for specific requirements so I was mainly after how most composers do their edits if there is no specific requirement.

#44507 Reply
    dachtyl
    Participant

It’s not a question of what the library wants, it’s what the client needs. These are mainly for picture editors who are not music editors, working on advertising. Advertisers buy time in blocks of :60, :30, :15 and :05 (in the US). No advertiser wants to pay for silence in a spot where music is supposed to fill it. Also, if the sound noticeably cuts off at :29 or :59 (in the middle of an audible fade or tone overhang), it doesn’t work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Got an edit question for you guys
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us