I've got music, I've been approached, I need help fast

Home Forums Newbie Questions I've got music, I've been approached, I need help fast

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • #24273

    Hi, I need some help. I’m based in the UK

    I’m new to music syncing. I am a pianist and compose my own work. I recorded a selection of tracks at a local recording studio and forwarded a CD to a number of libraries last year. I never heard back and kinda put the whole idea on the backburner. I’ve recently been contacted by a handful of companies that seem really interested.

    I want to ensure I protect myself and my work correctly as so far I’ve only recorded my work, I’ve not got a record label or publisher or anything like that.

    I’ve registered for a membership with PRS (I’m based in the UK) but I’m not sure what to do, or how to register my work, or what to even enter on the website. Should I register my work with PRS prior to agreeing to anything with these companies?

    Also should I be registering my masters with a copyright service? Can you recommend one?

    Is there anything else I should be considering? Sorry for all the questions I’m kinda in unknown territory here. and I cant seem to find a good guide on what to do, or even who to speak to, to get the right advice.

    Thanks in advance.

    Art Munson



    Hi, regarding some of your questions. if the libraries are in the uk. Check the contracts.
    1 join PRS. They will send you the standard reg number which you will need for log in. Register each piece on the Cd….The name of each piece etc. You will be given a no.code so you can refer to the usage in the future.
    2 make sure PRS have your address and email. They send regular updates.
    3 in the uk it is not necessary to register your pieces. Although you may wish to pop a cd into a registered letter and post it your yourself making sure the date is clear on the envelope. Do not open the letter when it arrives but store it. This goes somewhere towards proving that your cd was produced by at least the date on the envelope.
    Good luck.

    miles long

    Interesting that Tunesmithy said you don’t need to register your pieces. This seems to be an area of confusion, I am in the uk, I registered some of my cues with the PRS, they are placed exclusively with a US company, but was then advised I shouldn’t have done this. The PRS advise you to register each cue. I am still not sure what to do, perhaps someone on this forum can clarify, and good luck, geezabrek
    Keep on rockin’ in the free world!


    @miles long: it’s good to register non-exclusive tracks with your PRO,in case of a direct license (or any other license that you keep 100% of publishing).

    It’s NOT good to register exclusive tracks with your PRO.When i signed my first 2 exclusive contracts a few years ago,i asked these 2 music libraries if i should register the tracks with BMI and they both insisted i shouldn’t do it.They said 2 different registrations of the same exclusive track could lead to several issues in case of a placement.

    With that said,i’m not with PRS,i’m with BMI and these were both US based companies.
    I recently signed with an exclusive UK company and they said they’ll handle the registration work.


    Hi. I have a lot of experience with this. I am a UK writer with publishers in the UK and abroad.

    This is what I have learnt over the years:

    First, make sure you understand any contract you are considering signing.

    Also, you need to specify to us what kind of company and deal you have been offered, otherwise the advice may not be right.

    However, let’s take the case that you’ve been offered an exclusive deal with a UK library (publisher). In that case:

    1. Yes, you should join PRS as a writer member. You will now have a CAE. That is your unique writer identifier number, for life. You will give this to your publisher.

    2. Do NOT register your tracks with PRS. If you sign exclusively to a big publisher, it is part of the deal that they do this for you, as your publisher. They will then assign the track whatever % split you have on the contract. If you register the tracks yourself first, there will be duplicate entries that then have to be corrected. Also, even if you put in the publisher correctly when you register the track, PRS will not accept this – a writer cannot add a publisher (I know from personal experience).

    3. No one I know nor myself has ever registered anything with anyone except PRS (and MCPS but that’s done by the publiser). I haven’t heard of there being a problem. Additionally, if you are signing with a big UK publisher, then if there is an infringement on your work, as far as I know, in theory, that publisher will go after the infringer as part of their deal with you.

    If your deal is non-exclusive, then that changes things a lot.


    Thanks Kubed!


    Thanks Tbone, your advice has been really helpful. Sorry it’s taken a while to get back to this question. Things have been a bit hectic here recently.



    Glad it helped geezabrek. I remember the stress I had in the early years figuring all this out..

    Let us know how you get on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot Password?

Join Us