PRO deposit

Home Forums Newbie Questions PRO deposit

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

What if this track ends upon a movie that goes on TV? I can say byebye to back-end royalties!

Depends on the terms and conditions of the site/company you uploaded the song to. This is where that big difference between Royalty Free, Non-Exclusive, and Exclusive comes in..

If this is a “Royalty Free site/company where there is a simple “1time fee for usage into perpetuity”. There would be no need for the user to file a cue sheet, or pay any additional monies”‘

If the composition/song is on other sites where it is “Non-Exclusive” you would be able to seek back-end monies, and there should be a cue sheet.

Back-end, and the possibility of sync/licensing fees would be the main goal of the Exclusive..

#31527 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

He said to me that if I give a track to a RF library it’s prohibited to deposit this track to my PRO.

Wall_E, it has nothing to do with the terms of the various librarys’ contracts. It has to do with where you live and which PRO you are affiliated with.

In the U.S, our courts have ruled that composers have the right to direct license their music. In other countries that is not necessarily the case. Depending on where you live and which PRO you are affiliated with, your PRO may have the exclusive right to control the tracks that you register with them and, as such, you may not be able direct license those PRO-registered tracks through RF libraries too.

This is one reason why it can be advantageous to join a U.S. PRO, even if you aren’t a U.S. citizen.

#31528 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

If this is a “Royalty Free site/company where there is a simple “1time fee for usage into perpetuity”. There would be no need for the user to file a cue sheet, or pay any additional monies”‘

Have to disagree with this. Even though a cue sheet wasn’t filed and it was used in a broadcast you could still be eligible for back-end royalties.

#31529 Reply
    BEATSLINGER
    Participant

Have to disagree with this. Even though a cue sheet wasn’t filed and it was used in a broadcast you could still be eligible for back-end royalties.

I mentioned first it all depends on the terms and conditions of the site you uploaded to.

#31530 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I mentioned first it all depends on the terms and conditions of the site you uploaded to.

Not sure there are a lot of those types of RF sites around. “Could” was my operative word.

#31531 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Normally, in an RF situation it’s the composer’s responsibility to register their tracks with their PRO. Some, not all, RF libraries offer publishing admin and will register your tracks for you, if you designate admin to them. Some RF libraries that follow a performance free model require that your tracks not be PRO-registered.

But your question appears to stem from this issue:

if I give a track to a RF library it’s prohibited to deposit this track to my PRO.

The answer to that depends on the country in which you live and the PRO you are affiliated with. Particularly in EU nations, the PROs may be quasi-governmental agencies with exclusive rights to control the music that you register with them.

Again, this is one reason why joining a U.S. PRO may be advantageous.

#31532 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Some RF libraries that follow a performance free model require that your track not be PRO-registered.

Forgot about those animals and ones I have always stayed away from!

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: PRO deposit
Your information: