What does this mean?

Home Forums News What does this mean?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    More advice

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-strompolos/the-changing-face-of-vide_b_3489663.html

So how do you make money on YOUTUBE?

Let’s suppose the floodgates are open to our tracks for YOUTUBE videomakers. Our tracks get used on YOUTUBE films or videos or whatever. Let’s suppose a video gets 20 million views. What’s in it for a composer(s) supplying backing tracks or songs?

This is of particular interest to me because one of my songs is about to be released in a YOUTUBE webisode series about a teen female morphing into a pop star. What if this web series starts getting millions of views? What’s in it for me? As of now, I licensed the song for $1000, but what about royalties? Can anyone enlighten me?

#13597 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Wow! Michael, Mr Lawyer…what are your thoughts?

My thoughts are…I don’t care. It takes an enourmous number of view to generate even “lunch money” on youtube. You might as well buy lottery tickets.

Google is trying to position YT as another Hulu, or Netflix, because advertisers aren’t interested in amateur schlock videos.

Hence, it’s not easy to make a buck from YT, and for composers that means it’s not easy to make a penny.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-04-22/its-getting-harder-to-make-money-on-youtube

#13599 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I don’t mean to be short, or flip, with my answers, but the whole “race to the bottom,” “everyone’s out to rip us off” schtick is getting tedious.

A friend of mine said this in an email today:

In…this area of the music business there in no real mystery to it, have a wide,varied and substantial catalogue. Update it regularly, and price it for your market.

That’s really what this business boils down to: be prolific, be good, and price properly.

Everyone wants to blame libraries, if they don’t do well. In reality it probably comes down to the composer 90% of the time.

#13581 Reply
    Desire_Inspires
    Participant

Sounds interesting. Will composers receive compensation?

#13603 Reply
    Advice
    Participant

Everyone wants to blame libraries, if they don’t do well. In reality it probably comes down to the composer 90% of the time.

What are you suggesting, Michael? That we take personal responsibility for anything? What the heck are you thinking???? :p

#13604 Reply
    Adam

I’m not sure i fully understand this new concept . I read the link to full screen and it says get 350000 audio micro tracks for free , I have my tracks on audio micro , so far this month they have made me nothing by the way , but usually I do get some sales from them.
    Does this mean people can have all my tracks on audio micro for free if they use this free full screen thing ? Will have to pull my audio micro acc I guess if that is so.

#13605 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

@Adam, this program should only involve AM cues that are exclusive. If not, they will create a potential sh*t storm for writers who have the same tracks in other libraries.

What are you suggesting, Michael? That we take personal responsibility for anything? What the heck are you thinking????

A bold and unpopular concept, I know.

#13700 Reply
    JoJoGabore

Is this something we opt in or out of? I tried following the link on the JP site to find out more, but it didn’t work – anyone any updates, is it definitely just for JP in-house writer tracks only? Thanks

#13701 Reply
    Advice

JoJo
    It’s only for JP in-house writers. No impact on others who have tracks in their library

Best

#13838 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I can upon this story about Fullscreen. The article is from August but is relevant here.
    ———————————-

Music Publishers Group Sues Fullscreen YouTube Network Over Copyright Infringement

The National Music Publishers Association is suing multi-channel network Fullscreen for copyright infringement by alleging that they use unlicensed music in their videos.

In a statement, the organization said that Fullscreen “directly profits from advertising revenue generated by unlicensed music videos on their channels, but does not compensate songwriters or publishers.” The NMPA said they are doing this to make sure that their songwriters and music publishing companies are fairly compensated.

Full story here:

Music Publishers Group Sues Fullscreen YouTube Network Over Copyright Infringement

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
Reply To: What does this mean?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us