15, 30 and 60 second edits

Home Forums General Questions 15, 30 and 60 second edits

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Chuck Mott

Typically , I think due to suggestions on here, I do 15,30 60,bed,stinger, sometimes minus a lead guitar part or other instrument, lops when I think it is fitting.

Have to say I’ve done several where the fadeouts are much longer then 1/2 a second. Noone ever complains that 29 1/2 seconds requires too abrupt a fade? always wondered about that but think my fades (some 5-8 seconds) are too long .

And for what it’s worth, the track I am finishing this week will mark production track number 100 written since I started chasing this production music thing back in April 2012. Not all have made it out the door (most during my first year learning curve and trying some new genres that came out silly sounding).

#20589 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Noone ever complains that 29 1/2 seconds requires too abrupt a fade?

As long as the last beat is 1/2 second short of the intended length then I don’t imagine the ring out (sustain, fade, whatever you want to call it) is a problem. Mine typically go a few seconds beyond. As an example a 30 second could be 33 seconds but that last beat will be 29.5 with a ring out of 3.5 seconds.

#20590 Reply
    Edouardo
    Participant

he track I am finishing this week will mark production track number 100 written since I started chasing this production music thing back in April 2012.

Congratulation Chuck!!! My next batch, with 11 tracks, out by the end of this Month hopefully, will make me reach 60 Tracks out there (Started this biz End 2013). If the revenue is proportional to Number of tracks, I might even be able to pay my full rent with music on the good months, I nearly reached that symbolic mark in January :-).

As long as the last beat is 1/2 second short of the intended length then I don’t imagine the ring out (sustain, fade, whatever you want to call it) is a problem.

Your point makes sense Art, although I read many times that it was essential to respect the 30 second mark diligently (A little under is OK, but over, is a big no-no). Being able to ring over 30s would save me many arrangement induced headaches!

#20593 Reply
    ChuckMott
    Participant

I see what Art means though. He is hitting the end note/chord say, 29.5 seconds and letting it ring then leaving the fade to music editor. I’ve heard this before being standard practice, someone had said something to me that if I let the end chord start fading around, say, the 24 second mark it gives the impression that the music is ending too early. Just a thought.

#20595 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Your point makes sense Art, although I read many times that it was essential to respect the 30 second mark diligently (A little under is OK, but over, is a big no-no).

Initially I was cutting them to the exact length. but my latest info comes from someone that’s been the biz for many decades and makes sense to me. Still, those older cues, that are exact, still sell.

#20597 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

I’ve heard this before being standard practice, someone had said something to me that if I let the end chord start fading around, say, the 24 second mark it gives the impression that the music is ending too early. Just a thought.

I lean toward “button-down” endings for ad length edits. I try to have the last note hit at 28 or 28.5 and be out by 29.5 / 30

A long sustain chord for 5.5 seconds is not a good idea

Don’t forget if you’re close, you can time-stretch or shrink the audio, if you have good software. Digital Performer and Izotope’s RX are both very good at that with few, if any, artifacts if you don’t stretch / shrink too much.

#20601 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I guess it’s safe to say there are different opinions on this. In listening to on air commercials you can hear it all. Even to cutting the music off abruptly with no finesse.

#20602 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Think the shorter fades are what I’ll try to shoot for. Check some of my tracks on AS if you care to , you’ll hear a lot of what I’m talking about, even in the stings.

#20603 Reply
    Chuck Mott

Yes time stretching is a big help and keeps you from banging your head against the wall when your 30-60 seconds or full versions come up a 1/2 a second to a second short. Pro Tools does fine but I always have Soundtoys, not even sure of the ams of that plug, like it but I just got more used to doing it in Pro Tools and it works just as well.

#20606 Reply
    Mark_Petrie
    Participant

Mine typically go a few seconds beyond. As an example a 30 second could be 33 seconds but that last beat will be 29.5 with a ring out of 3.5 seconds.

Me too – this is the way I’ve been taught to do edits. Have them timed so that if an editor has to chop off everything at 29.9 seconds, it still sounds MUSICAL (not super abrupt), this might mean the last beat hitting at 28.5, but also give them the option of letting the tail ring out.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 57 total)
Reply To: 15, 30 and 60 second edits
Your information: