5 Year Report

Home Forums Share It! 5 Year Report

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Mike Marino
    Participant

@pike60 : What type of music do you tend to write and what end medium do you tend to aim your music at (ie sport shows, reality tv, trailers and tv promos, commercials, etc)?

#29184 Reply
    spiker
    Participant

Mainly I’m a rock guitarist (all kinds of rock and acoustic tracks) but I’ve done a lot of Tension (with synths) in the last couple of years. I write for libraries that provide music to cable and reality TV shows. Most of it on request but no up front.

#29193 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

To all: PLEASE start a new topic instead of going off topic.

#31588 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

bump! figured it would be nice to hear how the previous posters did last year, and maybe some new “5 year” folks could chime in as well 🙂

happy chinese new year!

#31596 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

+1

As a newcomer I find great wisdom and inspiration in this thread… I humbly request all you veterans to update us on your progress in 2018.

Thank you!

#31602 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

bump! figured it would be nice to hear how the previous posters did last year, and maybe some new “5 year” folks could chime in as well

+1
    As a newcomer I find great wisdom and inspiration in this thread… I humbly request all you veterans to update us on your progress in 2018.

Here you go, I guess this is a 9 year report for me, wow!
    2018 Total Income – $23.5K (down about 10% from previous year)
    PRO Income – $11.7K (up about 11%)
    RF Income – about $10K (about the same)
    Sync Fees – about $2K (down about 60%, as expected, I had a lucky 2017)

I expect I’ll be leveling off now at $20K-$25K annually.
    I only wrote about 25 tracks in 2018, but I’m shooting for higher quality now. I’ve hired session musicians a few times, plus I’m opting to record real instruments over samples as much as possible. That really slows things down, but I’m hoping the better quality will pay off in the long run. I bought a tuba last year, haha!
    My catalog is a little over 300 tracks now.
    I feel like I still don’t know nearly enough about this business, but I have gotten better at spotting a rotten deal.
    My Tunesat Subscription has made me very cynical. Now that I know how often I don’t get paid for my placements, I’m very selective about what goes to exclusive broadcast libraries.
    Good luck in 2019 all!

#31603 Reply
    boinkeee2000
    Participant

thanks for the update Alan. I guess if you pretend those lucky one off syncs didnt happen you’d actually be up a bit…

btw how did that batch of excl tracks work out for you?

#31604 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Thank you Alan! Much appreciated!

By not getting paid for placements, do you mean the exclusive libraries didnt register them correctly with the PRO?

If so, thats scary!

#31607 Reply
    Alan
    Participant

By not getting paid for placements, do you mean the exclusive libraries didnt register them correctly with the PRO?

No, I mean they license them to Scripps, PBS, BTN, etc that pay very little to no back end.

#31608 Reply
    MM_Musicworks
    Participant

Right… Got it… Thanks again! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 90 total)
Reply To: 5 Year Report
Your information: