Self Licensing via website for Royalty-free?

Home Forums General Questions Self Licensing via website for Royalty-free?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Mark

Fair enough Doug. I won’t post anything more about this. My apologies.

-Mark

#8665 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

the posts were deleted and the vendors given the bum’s rush…

But, is this type of discussion allowed, or not? Can’t figure it out.

Well, yes and no and I plead guilty for not being consistent. It generally works on my relationships with such vendors and their willingness to be a part of the MLR community. Mark from ML has been involved here almost from the beginning and consistently stays involved. Michael Borges from LicenseQuote has had less involvement but I’ve talked with him on the phone a number of times and he’s been very helpful with specific questions I have had. A number of sites using LicenseQuote are fairly successful and for some composers it’s a great solution, it’s particularly slick when you get into the API calls.

Other vendors tend to jump in when their only intent is to try and sell a product. I try to ask them to get involved and if not, at least take out an ad (my ad rates are very reasonable). They always go away so I question their motives. BTW I have checked out most of them and, along with the experience of building my own site, find they are expensive or found wanting in some other way.

#8666 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

Fair enough Doug. I won’t post anything more about this. My apologies.

Please keep posting Mark. It sounds like a great product and I encourage you to keep us all informed!

#8667 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Please keep posting Mark. It sounds like a great product and I encourage you to do so!

+1

Mark…you’re a vital part of this community,  who has provided composers with many opportunities, through MusicLoops/PIR and offered valuable insight to composers on how to succeed in this business. You’ve been a more active participant on this forum than many libraries, and have given far more than you are potentially asking in return for your product.

_MichaelL

#8668 Reply
    Mark

@dcrhere
    “There’s a LOT of activity going on in this space right now, and a lot of what you folks on this thread are looking for is available right now.”

Hi Doug, can you post links or names of services you’ve found that are providing these solutions? The basic idea is an installable package that is hosted on a composer’s server for a one-time fee (no monthly fees). Like a wordpress blog except for music licensing.

I have been doing extensive searches for a solution and have found a few but they were more geared towards photos/video with audio being more of an afterthought.
    I experimented with one I purchased from cmsaccount.com
    and have been using it for the ‘free background video’ section of the PIR site that I created a few months ago
    partnersinrhyme.com/video/
    it is a great system, synchs with S3 buckets, great bulk uploading, auto previews, etc and after using this system I thought to myself that musicians need something exactly like this except designed for specifically for audio instead of video and photos.
    I have been looking at other solutions which all have their merits like
    http://www.licensequote.com/
    http://www.sourceaudio.com/plans-pricing/
    http://www.synchtank.net/pricing
    – From what I’ve learned in this thread Youlicense offers a self hosting solution which costs a monthly fee?
    – Soundcloud has a pretty cool solution except that it goes through Getty images? Might be ok though. I like that you can just pop a soundcloud player into your own site that has a license button next to each song title in the player.
    – I found one wordpress ecommerce plugin that could handle audio but it would have taken far more work to get what I wanted out of it rather than just doing it myself. I was really surprised by the lack of audio/ecommerce plugins for wordpress. Maybe I missed something?

Seriously, I am totally my own customer in this case, if I could find a software package that I could pay a one time fee for (no monthly fees) and could easily install on my server and start using right away then I would just buy it and wouldn’t even consider trying to do this project.

Would love to see an overview of the different players in the space that you mentioned already having these solutions Doug.

#8669 Reply
    andrej
    Participant

Hello Mark,  if the trend  picks up it and will funcion well for composers that might be a welcome change ,I didn’t  use the word  threat but reaction , anyway that might be solved with a clausule in the contract or  RF libs going more exclusive.

In any case if it will afect the Rf libs , it’s the natural course of evolution of things.

When years ago libraries were starting to pop up and music supervis0rs  started to license more music from them , I believe the composers that worked on commision weren’t too happy about it.

I think it’s a good idea with lots of potential ,I wonder if it could be compatible to use on soundcloud or other similar sites.

#8670 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

I’ve tried Source Audio (sourceaudio.com) a couple of times with their free 30 day account option. It’s very slick, with a lot of functionality but I passed and here’s why.

1.) Expensive. When you start adding in all the alt mixes for each song (I currently do eight per song) the price really climbs.

2.) No capability to reference an external server where your tracks might be stored. That would require me to upload everything to Source Audio.

3.) They have a “Buyer Network” but the buyers pay $99 per month. Huh? They want music buyers to pay for the privilege of buying your music. Maybe I missed something there but I don’t get that one.

I will say their tech support was great and they are very responsive. My biggest complaint was the fact that I could not store my files externally.

Finally, I welcome anyone from Source Audio to come on MLR and join the conversation.

#8671 Reply
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

BTW, I also have a limited time free account with LicenseQuote and I’m playing with that one too. You don’t really need to use all of the licensing options they offer and can use a simple “Buy” button. I’m intrigued by the ability to use API calls. If you want to see a nice implementation of that check out http://www.music-for-video.com. The site is in Italy and the English is a bit mangled in spots but I love how that site looks and functions.

#8672 Reply
    andrej
    Participant

Regarding the selflicensing via personal website , I believe it will be very important or common  for serious composer to have his catalogue ready for license as I suspect we are not far from third party agregation of online production music sources,be it libraries ,stock sites or personal composers sites, not unlike what is happening in other areas of bussinesses e.g. (hotels,airline tickets )

So if a composer’s music will be directly accessible through the agregator and has the same chance in the search results as that of the other production libraries …?

Bye Bye complicated metatagging ,keywords and discription for diverse libraries….dream come true.

Your own catalogue out there with one system of metas,keywords etc.

And all the time available for making music

#8906 Reply
    JD

I just signed up for the  LicenseQuote.com plan. I must say that the customer service is second to none! It takes some work, like anything, but not too bad. And Art, I filled you in as a reference. 🙂 Although, I’ve been using them since they had their free “licensing calculator”. I’m only in day 3, but it has been an excellent experience so far! Just thought I would share. I’m still a little concerned about how “professional” I can make it look, but the options are all there.

#8927 Reply
    Emmett Cooke
    Participant

Hey guys,

Sorry to hi-jack this thread. I was looking into doing exactly this also – I’ve got the front end of it all designed, but would love to get some feedback from you on the design/layout/usability?

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

I’m hoping to get it developed in HTML5 in around 2-3 months time (then get it working with wordpress after its working on normal HTML pages).

I’d be looking at a higher price point than Mark of around $300 or $150 and a % of each sale that goes through it. Too high?

Do you think the design looks professional and would do everything you need it to do?

Cheers!

Emmett

#8928 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Hi Emmett,

Looks good. Is the price a one-time investment, or subscription? How are meta-data and searching genres handled etc?  Is the capacity limited, or can it handle a few thousand cues?

Good luck with it.

MichaelL

#8929 Reply
    Emmett Cooke
    Participant

Hi Michael – one time investment. All the genres/meta-data will be handled via a backend login area:

View post on imgur.com

Capacity will be limited to your own hosting capacities.

Emmett

#8930 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Thanks Emmettt. Stupid question..is this limited to mp3 files?

#8950 Reply
    Emmett Cooke
    Participant

Hi Michael, not limited to mp3 files no – upload a wav file and it plays the mp3 on the store (backend server conversion occurs)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
Reply To: Self Licensing via website for Royalty-free?
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us