G. S. – Composer Interview

Home Forums Composer Interviews G. S. – Composer Interview

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Art Munson
    Keymaster

1.) Your name?

Anonymous by request (verified by moderator).

2.) Any credits you care to mention?

A Very famous TV show’s Theme song, Several TV show’s incidental music, many TV ads…

3.) How long have you been writing music?

I wrote my 1st song when I was 12 years old but I got serious about writing in 2000.

4.) How did you get started?

I was making money as a sideman playing gigs but I wanted to make more $$. I thought a good way to do it was writing music. So I learned how to use Pro Tools and subscribed to TAXI and started submitting songs.

5.) How long have you been writing library/production music?

Not long. I’m just getting into it now.

6.) Are you making a living wage writing library/production music?

Yes writing but not much with libraries yet.

7.) Do you care to give any general figures of annual earnings (low/mid/high 5, 6, 7 figures)?

6 figures

8.) Are you self-taught or have you studied formally?

I have a BA in studio music and jazz performance. The production side I learned it on my own.

9.) Do you work through music libraries?

Yes.

9a.) If so are they exclusive and/or non-exclusive libraries?

I have a library I write for in Europe that only accepts exclusive material. So far, everything I sent got some sort of placement. But I’ve also submitted to non-exclusive libraries.

10.) Do you contact music supervisors, music editors or TV production companies directly?

Until recently I was working at a music house writing for TV commercials so I would contact agencies and producers. I’ve also contacted music supervisors in the past.

10a.) If so how do you approach them?

I usually try to keep it simple, short and to the point. Make them aware that I exist. I also put in my calendar a reminder to follow up every few weeks/months or whatever they ask.

11.) How do you deal with rejection?

I hate it but at the same time I don’t take it personal. I realize a long time ago that it doesn’t mean anything about myself. I also try to always learn something from the reasons I got rejected.

12.) How do you feel about re-titling?

I don’t mind it.

13.) What do you have the most success with, royalty free sites or back end PRO royalties?

I don’t have enough experience with royalty free sites yet. I’ll get back to you on that one 🙂

14.) Any tips about writing descriptions, keywords and/or metadata?

I say keep it to the point. Be as descriptive as possible and avoid writing useless tags such us TV commercial, advertising, corporate video…

15.) Any trends you would like to comment on (YouTube Content ID, Internet Royalties)?

No

16.) What sort of advice would you give to someone just entering the library/production music world?

Be persistent, think of it as an investment. An investment that has the potential of giving you and infinite return on your money. Also, be VERY organized!!

And finally!

17.) If you were not writing music what would you be doing?

Playing music :-), hanging out with my kids, programming computers, I don’t know I always find something to do!!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Composer Interviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us