Loops Probably Don’t Have the Same Effect

Home Forums Share It! Loops Probably Don’t Have the Same Effect

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    MichaelL
    Participant

@macaent. Thanks for your input. I agree. I think that the disciplined playing of an instrument will have a positive effect on cognitive function.

Using loops, is more like listening to music, which while it still has a positive effect on the brain, does so to a lesser degree.

If one actually watches the video before offering an opinion, they would understand that this is because playing an instrument involves the additional use of motor skills.

#18574 Reply
    OverDub
    Participant

Great, except that the post isn’t about loops. It’s about how playing a musical instrument affects your brain.

It’s actually a post about playing a musical instrument, that MichaelL, the post starter, turned into a post about loops, thus the title. MichaelL, you are the one who brought up the loops, and I think you were trying to bait and insult a certain someone from the get go. Am I the only one who is annoyed by MichaelL’s condescending tone? I would love to hear some of his earth shattering compositions, especially coming from an obvious master composer! I usually don’t comment on things like this (the old rule if you can’t say something good, say nothing at all), but I really feel like MichaelL and a few others are being just big bullies. I know DI can be annoying, and I’m not into loops either, but keep it to yourself, don’t go out of your way to stir up crap! There you have it, end of rant!

#18575 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

It’s an interesting subject, the thing is how does an individual, who is a musician, know what their motor skills, or other benifits would be if they had not learned an instrument. I have played piano/keyboards for over 40 years , I would shudder to think of what shape my brain would be in if a hadn’t , sometimes it certainly doesn’t feel like there are fireworks going off LOL. I tend to feel now the benefits of an emotional and cognitive work out. On one hand playing and composing is a structural thing and on the other creative if that makes any sense.

#18576 Reply
    MichaelL
    Participant

Sorry OverDub. You’re wrong. It’s not a condemnation of loops or DI (except for hijacking the thread, probably without watching the vid first).

I use loops, for example BFD, Scarabee Funky Guitar, groovemonkee midi loops, Nine Volt, RMX, etc.

Watch the video. It really does bring up interesting points about how music positively affects your brain, only more so when one is actively involved in playing, because motor skills are involved.

I would love to hear some of his earth shattering compositions, especially coming from an obvious master composer!

Never claimed to compose earth shattering compositions. Very few people do.

#18578 Reply
    woodsdenis
    Participant

Actually there a distinct difference I think in approach, playing a rehearsed piece of music with all the intracacies that involves, would undoubtably fire up your synapses, where as just sitting and playing whatever comes into your head and getting lost in the music, is more of the opposite. A brain massage. I tend to do more of the latter. Composing is something different again.

#18644 Reply
    AaronM

Actually there a distinct difference I think in approach..

I agree! I’m sure there’s quite a difference between playing from sheet music, playing by ear, or composing anew. Sort of like the difference between reading a book and writing one you might say.

As for loops, the real topic at hand ;), I’m usually too picky to use them myself, except on a rare occasion maybe. I’ve known people to use them effectively in some cases as previously mentioned.

And as for being unfriendly toward others… 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Loops Probably Don’t Have the Same Effect
Your information:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us